export cast-list

Report your bugs here - if someone else has already mentioned the same bug, just add on to their post with as much info as possible to make the hunting easier.
Deetje
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

export cast-list

Post by Deetje »

Why is the cast table empty when I will the list export to a text-file?
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: export cast-list

Post by FineWine »

Welcome to the forums of Bruji and all the wonderful cataloguing app's called the 'pedia's'.

When asking questions it is helpful if you would provide the following information; macOS version, pedia product & pedia product version.

I am guessing you are referring to DVDpedia. First thing have a look at the help facility: Working with DVDpedia > Working on Collections

And in this case Export as a Text file:
Support > DVDpedia Help > Overview > Working with DVDpedia > On Collections > Export a Collection > Text

Also in the same Help area: Support > DVDpedia Help > Overview > Working with DVDpedia > On Collections > Customizing templates for print and export

Also please have ago at the latest Beta. You can download from here: https://bruji.com/beta/ DVDpedia Beta 6.0.3 Beta167.

I hope this is of assistance to you. Please get back to us if you have further questions. :D
Deetje
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Deetje »

Thanks for NO help, every link you send me, I have this read it before, nowhere a solution for this problem. It's DVDpedia yes...
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

I understand your frustration that what you want is not automatically provided for you. However one of the great things with all the pedia's is their ability to be customised by you the owner. This customisation not only includes the 'User Interface' BUT also its export customisation ability.

In your case you want to export a text based list of the cast by movie. You do not clarify what other information you wish besides Movie Title and Movie cast. However all the information for customising your text file is in the links I gave you in the previous post.

To edit the code contents of the desired Text file: Export > Text > (Tab, CSV or Text) Template > Small List > Edit This will open up the Text file showing the basic code to achieve the desired result. It is this code that you can edit and save for future use. Note: when you have edited the desired code please append the name of the file with My So in this instance if you altered the SmallList file you could save it as MyCastList. This way the program recognises it as a custom template and not a default template. It also then stores that new Template into the external Templates folder which by default is located in ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia/Templates

When you click on the Edit button it will open up the macOS TextEdit program and now you can customise your template. You are able to use most of the Text Editing functions; Bold, Underline, Italics, Text Colour etc.

The following is the code for just the Title & Cast.

Code: Select all

Cast By Movie
<!--BeginRepeat-->
[key:title]
 [key:starring]
<!--EndRepeat-->
Giving you the following result:

Cast By Movie
22 Bullets
Jean Reno, Marina Foïs, Kad Merad, Gabriella Wright, Richard Berry

If you wanted additional information, like Director, you would add in [key:director]

Cast By Movie
<!--BeginRepeat-->
[key:director]
<!--EndRepeat-->
If you wish to label your field/s you would add in [translate:director]: [key:director]

Cast By Movie
<!--BeginRepeat-->
[translate:director]: [key:director]
<!--EndRepeat-->
Giving you the following result:

Cast By Movie
22 Bullets
Director: Richard Berry
Jean Reno, Marina Foïs, Kad Merad, Gabriella Wright, Richard Berry

Notice I have added a Title to the text file 'Cast by Movie'. There is lots you can do, it just depends upon how much information you want in your text file and its style and appearance.

I hope this is not too confusing for you. Once you get the hang of it, most people find it enjoyable to play around with its possibilities.
Deetje
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Deetje »

Thanks a lot :)
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

You are welcome :D

If you require any more assistance please do not hesitate to ask. These forums are all about helping each other.

Conor, the Top Dog and originator of these programs is not only busy correcting bugs but also preparing the next version/s for release. He and his wife Nora, Mrs Top Dog, are also trying to raise a young family whilst, like the rest of the world, stay safe. It is the active members of this forum that try to take the mundane load of their shoulders. Now with the announcement by Apple that they are moving away from Intel CPU's with a whole new in-house Apple hardware design for laptops & desktops in the form of their own CPU's called Apple Silicon (ARM SoC), programmers like Conor have to rethink their code even though there will be translation software available for several years to come. So he is going to be a busy coder. Therefore, as stated, users of these programs must help each other out.

Have fun with the pedia's and stay safe. :D
Deetje
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Deetje »

Everything works except the cast, I have no one actor. I try it with director, url, rating, studio etc.. and everything is on the textfile except cast, this is empty? Strange
Deetje
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Deetje »

FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

OK we are now getting somewhere.

Can you please inform us what DVDpedia version and macOS version you are using.
Also what language. Because the screen shot is so blurry I am unable to discern your language and your profile does not mention it either. We ask these questions as there may be a bug in the pedia language conversion files for your language for the pedia version you are using.

Also please keep in mind that version 6 of all the pedia's has been designed to run on macOS 10.15.* Catalina only as this OS will only run 64bit programs for which all the latest version of the pedia's have been written for.

If you are running macOS 10.15.* Catalina and have not already done so, please download and install the latest Beta version: https://bruji.com/beta/ DVDpedia Beta 6.0.3 Beta167. If you are running an old macOS version than 10.15 please send a support email to: support@bruji.com requesting the best DVDpedia version to run on your macOS.

As I have already stated your image is quite blurry. The best way to take a screen shot is: To press and hold these three keys together: Shift-Command (⌘)-5.

I also forgot to mention the correct English term is 'Starring' and not 'Cast'.
Deetje
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Deetje »

I have Mac OS 10.15.5 & DVDPedia 6.0.3 Beta 167, (Cast is the same as starring, DVDPedia is in Dutch language)
Deetje
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Deetje »

FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Bedankt voor de bovenstaande informatie. (Thank you for the above information.)

Looking at my Dutch Language translation file there appears to be nothing wrong and yes in Dutch "starring" = "Cast" in that file.

Did this problem just start and if so what was the last version that the Cast column was being populated.

I have run out of idea's now.

You could how ever try the following:

1 - There are some hidden menu tasks that you can perform: 'hold down the option key and click on the main Help menu in each program once and select - each in turn: 'Verify Database', 'Remove Orphaned Covers' and 'Clean Duplicates in Fields' these may not solve your problems but it wont hurt either.

2 - When I am updating App's to a new WHOLE number version or upgrading to a new OS version, or I know that there has been a major rewrite of the App such as with the case of all the pedia's and especially as Conor has rewritten them solely for 64bit technology, I do a complete uninstall of the old version prior to update. I achieve this by using a FREE program called AppCleaner which you can download from here. On using this App place a check mark IN ALL the boxes EXCEPT: ~/Library/Application Support/*****pedia , which is the second line down from the top. This is where your data base is located. Ensure that is NOT ticked. You will loose your Preference settings though but they only take a couple of minutes to redo. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

3 - There is also one other thing you can do and that is to use, what I call a "Grease & Oil Change" maintenance program called Onyx. This is a FREE program that is a multifunction utility that you can use to verify the structure of the system files, to run miscellaneous maintenance and cleaning tasks, to configure parameters in the Finder, Dock, Safari, and some of Apple's applications, to delete caches, to remove certain problematic folders and files, to rebuild various databases and indexes, and more. I always use it prior and post system OS updates and about once a month. Also especially in this case concerning the new macOS 10.15.* Catalina which has dropped support for ALL 32 bit App's.

This program is available here: Titanium Software - Onyx. ONLY DOWNLOAD THE VERSION FOR YOUR macOS

It is available in many languages and is regularly updated (about once a month).

AND of course always carry out a general machine BACKUP first. Remember that all the pedia's also have the ability to create individual data base backups: File > Export Collection > Backup > Location of your choice

If after all of the above still does not rectify your problem might I suggest you email Bruji Support directly at: support@bruji.com stating your problem and referencing this Topic: export cast-list (https://www.bruji.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7334)

Hope you find these Tips & Hints helpful :D
Deetje
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Deetje »

I found a (temporary) solution: I select all the movies in a collection map, go to update from IMDB and the actors are in the cast/starring field, (It's double work but it works) ;-)
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

LOL I just did that with all my Movies and Books last week. I do this once a year. But as my collections are getting bigger it taking bit longer each year.

Good to hear a "(temporary) solution" has been found.

It would be nice to know if you had Cast lists in the past.
Deetje
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Deetje »

Yes, I had cast , but like you say I have update DVDPedia and maybe the old DVDpedia not good uninstalled.