Bookpedia - ISBN search with dashes

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
live4ever
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Bookpedia - ISBN search with dashes

Post by live4ever »

I'd like it if Bookpedia could be smart enough to omit the dashes in ISBNs when searching for books online - I sometimes copy from a PDF file and it's a hassle to always remove the dashes.

Also ISBN should be included in both forms in the database so you can Spotlight search for this unique string.

Some examples that should have the Bookpedia entry included in the dashed search:

StefaanD

Post by StefaanD »

Well for one thing ISBN numbers are certainly not unique.

But it would indeed be nice if ISBN could be parsed by Bookpedia so
that only the numbers are left (clearing dashes, spaces, ...)

Ciao
Stef,
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thanks for pointing that out. Bookpedia does handle the dashes automatically. The problem here is the search is done by Spotlight, Bookpedia is never involved; Spotlight matches the ISBN field number. What I will have to do is also store the ISBN number with dashes in the Spotlight index so that it can be found.
live4ever
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by live4ever »

Any chance of ISBNs stored with dashes in a coming update or a field for ISBN-13s.
live4ever
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Bookpedia - ISBN search with dashes

Post by live4ever »

Searching for ISBN-13s works through Amazon great (with dashes as well) but they aren't added to the database for each book. Will support for storing them be added sometime? Thanks
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bookpedia - ISBN search with dashes

Post by Conor »

Bookpedia should prefer the 13 digit ISBN over the 10. Can you give me some examples searches where it stores the 10 digit ISBN instead of the 13 digit version?