What about laserdiscs?

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
patherto
Contributor
Contributor

What about laserdiscs?

Post by patherto »

I know, I know…we're talking dinosaurs here. But there are quite a few films on LD that never made it to DVD—including some real gems.

I once found a laserdisc site that had covers, reviews, and all. But I didn't bookmark it, and can't find it again.

I know this is a far-out request, but could you consider adding laserdiscs to your search engine? Thanks for consideration.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The problem is not that we don't want to add laserdisc information to DVDpedia (they're already included in the 'Media' drop down menu) but finding an online database for laserdiscs will be tricky. If you come across one, let us know and we can try to write a plug-in for it.
patherto
Contributor
Contributor

Here’s one laserdisc database

Post by patherto »

I can’t quite figure out how to use it but try this:

http://www.lddb.com/

…that claims it’s “the largest free laserdisc database on the Internet.”

Could you really do it? That would be wonderful!
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

We'll take a look at it. Our plug-ins request list is pretty long already but we're working on making it easier for users with little programming experience to write plug-ins themselves so hopefully we'll get more people into writing plug-ins in the future.
I've noted the site in any case, thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Joe_S
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Joe_S »

Another request for this feature
ejames
Inductee
Inductee

I need this

Post by ejames »

I have more Laser Disks than DVDs
I will probably not buy you product unless you add support for disks.
Thanks for listening
patherto
Contributor
Contributor

The LaserDisc Database is of no use

Post by patherto »

I’ve gotten a handle on the LDdB and it’s of no use to DVDpedia. The only data the LDdB handles have to do with the release date, the format, the kind of soundtrack aboard, and other technical stuff. For info on the director, stars, etc., you are referred to the IMdB (sometimes there’s a direct link to the right page, but usually not.). So this would be a waste of time and energy to add a plugin for this web site.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for keeping us informed of your research into laser disc databases; it lessens our work load. :)
patherto
Contributor
Contributor

A note on laserdiscs and DVDpedia

Post by patherto »

A note to "ejames"

I have about 250 laserdiscs recorded into DVDpedia, and the only drawback is that if they haven't been released on DVD, you won't have a cover image on your entry. (And if you really care about that, you can always photograph your cover and drag it into place.)

I've tried several cataloging programs for DVD, and DVDpedia is worth every penny I paid for it.
biff_debris

Post by biff_debris »

I have to disagree with Patherto's dismissal of LDDB due to lack of info on stars, director, etc. It's been suggested that searching for the DVD or VHS release information for a given LD title would be adequate, and, again I disagree.

One of the joys of DVDpedia is its ability to accept scanned barcodes. I've been able to catalog hundreds of books, CDs and DVDs quickly and easily. I simply would not have bothered if I had to type in the title to perform the search. This is what's being suggested for LaserDiscs.

LDDB may not include comprehensive information, but it is keyed to bar code numbers, making the entry of initial data quick and easy. As a comparison, many of the DVD databases that DVDpedia searches contain virtually no information beyond title and release date, yet they're still useful enough to get a title into your database.

Even if it's at a very low priority on the plug-ins list, please do consider adding LDDB for a search for LaserDisc titles. I know that many users will appreciate it even though comprehensive title information isn't available. I'd much rather scan bar codes to make database entries, then manually add information where needed instead of manuall adding every item in the database. If I wanted to do that, I'd have just used FileMaker!

Thanks...
idearat
Inductee
Inductee

Re: What about laserdiscs?

Post by idearat »

I'd also be happy for some support for laserdiscs:

--Being able to add search of the LDDB in addition to the other sites
--Ability to preserve aspect ratio of the cover images in the full screen mode if i do use the laser cover image.
--Add link to LDDB in the same manner as IMDB

I've got quite a few movies on laserdisc, many that are not on DVD. I've been happy using DVDPedia to catalog the movies, but I either I just ignore the technical details and leave the DVD information, or do lots of hand hand massaging. Even if DVDPedia didn't completely support laserdisc, I'd be happy if I could add a LDDB link in lieu of the various DVD technical details ( sound, extras, language )
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

I'd be happy if I could add a LDDB link in lieu of the various DVD technical details ( sound, extras, language )
You can add a link to LDDB into the URL field of the edit window or drag the URL over the info view of the entry to add it as a regular link.
bunjamins
Inductee
Inductee

Post by bunjamins »

I was really glad to see this already requested on the boards, and from the number of views this thread has, I can see it's one of the most popular feature requests you have. I also collect LDs, have hundreds along with three players, and find myself often searching through pawn-shops & thrift stores to find more. The reason I collect is the same as mentioned here, many of these movies aren't available on any other format. I am also a huge fan of the lddb, and the info there is all the info I would really need to have the pocketpedia be my favorite iphone app. I also tried to use a dvd collection to make my ld collection, but probably 25 percent of my movies aren't on dvd.

Just voicing, but with nearly 7000 views I think this idea could be a hit.

love,
ben
spierce64
Inductee
Inductee

Post by spierce64 »

I also need the ability to use LDDB, As I still have a rather large LaserDisc collection. No matter if it is a minimal amount of info. Still has cover art, and UPC codes. Is there any chance at all you will write a plugin for it??? Then I will finally have a program that does it all!!!

Thanks in advance.

Shaun
ssparmel
Inductee
Inductee

Post by ssparmel »

Also, the aspect ratio for the cover artwork for LaserDiscs should not be altered in the cover flow view. Currently, cover flow view is squishing all of my LaserDisc covers into the same proportions as a DVD jewelcase.

This should be an easy fix, no? Just don't re-size or constrict the images.