Rendezvous support

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
MauiMark
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Rendezvous support

Post by MauiMark »

Hello,

it would be nice to have Rendezvous support in DVDpedia. Similiar to how iTunes supports it.

Motivation: I want to put my DVDpedia library on our home server and give the whole family (read) access to it. I know I could do the same with file sharing technology - but this would be so much harder to setup and to maintain.

Thanks.
liquid
Inductee
Inductee

Post by liquid »

I already do this using the HTML export function. Its not exactly the same as what you are asking for but its pretty close. I have 5 Macs and everyone can view the library.

1. Go to File > Export Selection...
2. Select 'Template' and then slect the template you want. I use Silver.HTML
3. Place the exported Library file in the "Sites" folder.
4. Go to System Preferences > Sharing and turn on Personal Web Sharing

Thats it. Everyone on your network should be able able to reach your website by opening Safari and selecting the dropdown from the Rendezvous tab. I am a web designer and created a Home page that links to a few items one of which is my DVDpedia library.

This works great. Give it a try.
MauiMark
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by MauiMark »

Yes, I know this ;-)
What you suggested is a nice workaround for the missing feature described here. There are actually a couple of issues with an HTML export:
1. the exported library is never up-to-date
2. you have to set up a web-server
3. you have to manually 'synchronize' between the library and the exported files.

Rendezvous just frees you from all those tasks. Imagine iTunes would come without it ;-)
Conor
Top Dog

For Now

Post by Conor »

For now without rendezvous, you can use your home server as the data storage location for DVDpedia. You can even use .Mac, but your home server would be faster. You would all have the same data to work with and change in DVDpedia. You can achieve this by using your main DVDpedia and using the preference pane "other" set the data folder to the server. Then do the same for your other computers but select the already present "DVDpedia" folder and select "Set" when prompted. The only draw back is you will have to mount the server everytime you use DVDpedia, but if you have a home server it is most likely always mounted.
MauiMark
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by MauiMark »

yes, i know ;-)

I would say this is another workaround for a missing Rendezvous implementation. And as you said yourself, this would require sharing one folder on the server side and mounting this folder on the client side.

Rendezvous makes that process so much simpler... ;-)
DieTa

Post by DieTa »

Hi there,

I like to refresh this discussion. Yesterday I bought DVDpedia and I think it's a fantastic tool for every DVD-collector.
We (my gf and I) use 3 macs in our home. My main mac is the G5. My gf's mac is an iBook G4 and I own one, too. I like to have my DVDpedia base located on the G5 and connect from the iBook via airport (extreme).
I tried this with the address-book by apple and it worked fine. I connected the server via "personal file sharing" and added the icon in the iBook's dock. When I got the key for DVDpedia I tried this, too. I was suprised that this won't work. I got a blank DVDpedia :(

I don't wanna do it via Safari (or Firefox) via Web, cos I really like the features of DVDpedia.

Is there any way in the current version to get it work?

Greetings
Dennis
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Hi Dennis,

to share your pedia database between different computers, check out this How To..page. Eventually we want to incorporate Rendezvous support into the pedias. We just added it to MyTime, so we learned a lot about it already.

Regards,
Nora
ioport
Inductee
Inductee

Post by ioport »

+1 on this feature request.

It would be much easier and functional than sharing files or going through the HTLM process.
DieTa

Post by DieTa »

Hi Nora,

yeah! So easy ;) I tried it and it works fantastic - I know I forgot something ;)

Ciao
Dennis
Farbi
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Farbi »

What about an automatic export in regular intervalls. For example every day at 2PM?

Fabian