Gamepedia Suggestions

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Anso
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Gamepedia Suggestions

Post by Anso »

Hi!
Just popping in with some suggestions here.

The barcode scanning (on my 1st generation MacBook Pro 17") is almost impossible to do. I've yet to scan a game with my built-in iSight. It takes me a couple of MINUTES to find how to hold the game, and then I need to hold it perfectly straight for a good while. I've never succeeded ;P

Also, I wish you could somehow get some other databases of games into the software. I live in Sweden and we have some exclusive releases or releases with "native" barcodes. Also Amazon is limited. Older games can be a pain and some newer games can be hard to find too (for example Resident Evil 4 for PS2, non-platinum). It doesn't matter that much if the database has all the covers (though it would be great) since you can add your own easily.

Other than that I'd like to see a screensaver like "iTunes Artwork" but for Gamepedia, DVDPedia and so on. To have all your games on your screen as a screensaver would be amazing! Maybe just copy the code for "itunes artwork" and modify it? >: )

Thanks for being here ; )
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Updating the iSight code is the next big thing on our to do list so that should be done soon; now that the applications are Tiger only, we can re-write the iSight feature from the ground up. Hopefully then the scanning won't be a problem anymore.

The Pedias all have an open plug-in architecture which lets you add search sites. However at the moment you have to be pretty comfortable with Cocoa to write your own plug-in. We hope to make this easier in the future so that even non-programmers could set-up a search plug-in with relative ease.
If you have any good sites in mind (just for games or media in general), please let us know and we can look at including those in the future.

The quickest way to set up a Pedia screen saver is to go into System Preferences/Desktop & Screen saver and click on 'choose folder' in the left pane. Then navigate to your Pedia data folder (by default located in User/Library/Application Support/Xpedia/Covers). That'll use your cover images as a screen saver then.
Anso
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Anso »

Thank you for the fast and informative response!

as I said in my e-mail, a good site for video games is http://www.mobygames.com
That's the only one I know at the moment but I will do some research and post a thread with potential databases.

Thanks for telling me how to do a screensaver. too bad it only shows one cover at a time and so big that the lo-res covers look like crap ;)

again, thanks
feja
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Gamepedia Suggestions

Post by feja »

I too was looking for a way to display my DVD collection like you can with iTunes covers.