Syncing with IMDB Movie Listing

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
gryphonent
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Syncing with IMDB Movie Listing

Post by gryphonent »

I love DVDpedia and have been a registered user since version 2. One thing I'm missing though is syncing with my movie rating on IMDB. I keep track of the movies I've seen on IMDB and would like DVDpedia to retrieve my rating from IMDB, allow me to prepare a wishlist from the movies I've listed as 'seen' on IMDB and so forth. Kavasoft (kavasoft.com) has a new app coming out soon offering these features... and I while I'm keen on the app I don't want to reinvent the wheel and start tracking my movies in another app. DVDpedia would truly benefit from syncing with my IMDB movie listing.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Syncing with IMDB Movie Listing

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. It's sound very useful and will look at integrating it in a future update. This is a market segment that is full of competition, thank you for letting us know and making sure we stay on top.
yutaro

Post by yutaro »

Was this feature ever implemented? I was thinking of the exact same idea and how great it would be to be able to sync my ratings from both IMDB and DVDpedia. If not I would love to see a feature like this in the future.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

yutaro wrote:Was this feature ever implemented?
Nope, unless it's in my blind spot. :)

What would be of more interest to me is automatically updating the DVDpedia field for an IMDb User Rating (can't check its name right now) with the current overall User Rating from the IMDb site. There might be other fields I'd like auto-updated that way but User Rating is the most dynamic and most tedious to keep manually updating so instead I just click the IMDb link in DVDpedia to open the site when I want to check the current User Rating.
gryphonent
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by gryphonent »

Gosh, it's been 5 long years since I posted that feature request… and it's still one of the most glaring omissions in DVDpedia. Cannot believe nobody ever started implementing that. How difficult can it be to sync your individual rating and the overall rating from your IMDb profile?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It's been done for quite a while now. There were some updates to the plugin a few days back, so do make sure that you are running DVDpedia beta version 46. Of course you need to be logged in to IMDb in Safari and if you have Mountain Lion it needs to be 10.8.3 as there was a bug in 10.8.x releases that blocked some of the cookie information. Of course the sync is only one way, to DVDpedia and not back.
gryphonent
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by gryphonent »

Conor, can you comment on that a bit more. I need to be logged into IMDb on Safari and then my own ratings are transferred to DVDpedia or the IMDb overall rating is transferred? There's only one rating field in DVDpedia as far as I'm aware.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The general user rating is transferred to the "Rating" field including the number of votes "8.3 (208,981 votes)". This is the rating that SJK is talking about that he would like to self update. At the moment he has to delete it out with the multiple edit and then gather information again to update that general rating.

Your personal rating, number of stars from 0 to 10 possible that you can give a movie is transferred to the "My Rating" field in DVDpedia. The my rating field is also stars but only 5, however it has the possibility of half stars so no information is lost. A rating of 9 stars in IMDb would be a 4.5 star rating in DVDpedia.

To test it out, download the beta and search IMDb for a movie you know to have a personal rating on. The stars under the cover in the add window should reflect your personal rating and the rating field that of all users.

You can update movies you already have by using the gear button on the bottom right and selecting IMDb. Like all the other fields in DVDpedia it will never overwrite existing information, so the my rating field has to be 0 stars for it to be set from the information at IMDb, otherwise it stays as set.
gryphonent
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by gryphonent »

Hi Conor, thanks for the clarification. That is very helpful.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:A rating of 9 stars in IMDb would be a 4.5 star rating in DVDpedia.
Then 10 on IMDb would be 5 in DVDpedia, but it was 2.5 in the latter with the test I just did. And an 8 on IMDb was 2 in DVDpedia.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the information. Might have to do with having a preference to view the full listing site. Do please try beta 48.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:Do please try beta 48.
It's working properly with that, including a 9 (IMDb) to 4.5 (DVDpedia) test. Thanks!
yutaro

Post by yutaro »

It works perfectly, thanks Conor!! :D