Bookpedia: Series ignore leading articles

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Bookpedia: Series ignore leading articles

Post by jenv »

It would be nice if there were an option for the Series field to ignore leading articles (The, A) just like Bookpedia does for titles. That way "The Gates of Time" would be sorted under G rather than T.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bookpedia: Series ignore leading articles

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the suggestion.
Evertype

Post by Evertype »

It would be nice if the list of ignorable articles were user-editable. For instance, Irish has definite articles which should also be ignored.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you. For the title the "na" article can be ignored using the sort title field. If we include the ignore article in the series field will look at adding "na" to the list of foreign articles.
rickl
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by rickl »

jenv wrote:It would be nice if there were an option for the Series field to ignore leading articles (The, A) just like Bookpedia does for titles. That way "The Gates of Time" would be sorted under G rather than T.
You mean "Time, The Gates of"?
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by jenv »

rickl wrote:
jenv wrote:It would be nice if there were an option for the Series field to ignore leading articles (The, A) just like Bookpedia does for titles. That way "The Gates of Time" would be sorted under G rather than T.
You mean "Time, The Gates of"?
Are you saying that the correct place to sort items of the form "The X of Y" is under Y, not X?
witchkitten
Captain
Captain

Post by witchkitten »

I just ordered my books by series and realized that, at least by default, the leading articles are not be ignored. Is there a way to change this in the preferences? I've had the pedias so long I can't remember if I specifically told the program to ignore "The", "A", etc. for the titles or if it just does that automatically.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It does that automatically for the titles, we will look at adding it for the series as well for the next version.
witchkitten
Captain
Captain

Post by witchkitten »

Thank you for clearing that up. I wasn't sure if I was just missing a setting or something. It's definitely a feature I look forward to in the next version.