Emailing Collection Lists with reduced Cover Artwork

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
FineWine
Site Admin

Emailing Collection Lists with reduced Cover Artwork

Post by FineWine »

I recently emailed a list of 23 DVD's plus their cover artwork from my DVD collection as a PDF file created via the Print facility. I chose Templates, ListThick. The resulting file was 12.1Mb in size. The same file size was evident when choosing Templates, SmallCovers. On choosing Templates, Table, the file size was 44Kb.

So my request is this: to include an option to email a list with coverart as a pdf but with reduced coverart file sizes, like what occurs when you chose to email a photo from iPhoto and it gives you the options of: Small, Medium, Large & Actual Size. Or add a PDF selection to the Export facility.

I hope I have made myself clear here.

Cheers
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Emailing Collection Lists with reduced Cover Artwork

Post by Conor »

DVDpedia references the cover files directly when printing. This allows the printer to get the highest resolution for an image when printing and DVDpedia saves the step of re-encoding an image when it's not needed. The commands "save for PDF" or "Mail PDF" include all the information which results in a large file size. I will take into account adding the encoding step to reduce the file size when sending. In the meantime use "Open PDF in Preview" to reduce the size of the PDF by using the "Save As" command and selecting the Quartz filter "Reduce File Size". You might be able to do this directly in the print panel "color sync" options.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Another idea, just in case you weren't aware of this option in DVDpedia, is to use the built-in 'Email selection' feature to send an email of certain entries to a friend. Select all the entries you'd like to email and choose 'Email Selection' from under the Advanced menu. You can change the text of the email, including the tags, in the Preferences/Email.
This won't include the cover images but it makes it very easy to send a list of titles to friends. :)
FineWine
Site Admin

Post by FineWine »

Thanks Connor