Borrowed Option For A Specific Disc

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Tamburra
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Borrowed Option For A Specific Disc

Post by Tamburra »

hello again. I recently encountered this the other day and wish I was able to perform this task with this software. I have Season 2 of the show "Lost" and it is 7 discs. I have two friends that are borrowing 2 different discs from this season. It would be nice to see a feature if there are more than 1 disc entered in the info for the entry to be able to choose if the person that is borrowing it is taking all the discs or just specific discs. This can be done with a pop-up window when the borrowed button is clicked on an entry with more than 1 disc.

The way I have my dvd collection organized is with the "LOST [SEASON 2]" in my library:

and in my excluded collection I have each episode:

I understand I can make each disc in an excluded collection but I really don't want to go through the hassle of doing that every time I want to enter in a new Season or Show in my library.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Borrowed Option For A Specific Disc

Post by sjk »

Tamburra wrote:and in my excluded collection I have each episode:
Just curious -- what's the Series column in that collection used for?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the specifics on the problem and images. This is the first time this issue has come up but it makes perfect sense that different discs in a season would be borrowed by different people. I will keep the suggestion in mind but it's a tough one as DVDpedia was not built to handle more than one borrower per item at a time. In the meantime to be able to keep track of the borrowers consider creating a copy of the season (via a quick copy/paste) and then borrower the duplicate as well to keep track of the discs, once returned you would remove the copy.
Tamburra
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Tamburra »

sjk wrote:
Tamburra wrote:and in my excluded collection I have each episode:
Just curious -- what's the Series column in that collection used for?
The series number is just the number of episodes in its entirety. Say season 1 is 12 episodes. The series number would be from 1 through 12. Now you have season 2 which is also 12 episodes. The series number for episode 1 for season 2 would be 13. Its just the number of what episode it is from the very beginning of the shows birth pretty much.
Conor wrote:Thank you for the specifics on the problem and images. This is the first time this issue has come up but it makes perfect sense that different discs in a season would be borrowed by different people. I will keep the suggestion in mind but it's a tough one as DVDpedia was not built to handle more than one borrower per item at a time. In the meantime to be able to keep track of the borrowers consider creating a copy of the season (via a quick copy/paste) and then borrower the duplicate as well to keep track of the discs, once returned you would remove the copy.
I could imagine the amount of coding that would have to be done. I understand its not something small that can just be added. I just thought I would make it known for possible future releases. I have used all the other dvd organizer softwares for mac and I just love this one the best. I will be using this one for a long time and one would love to be able to see such a feature. Would def make things easier. But in the mean time I will use your method. Thank you Conor. You are always very helpful and informative.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Tamburra wrote:Its just the number of what episode it is from the very beginning of the shows birth pretty much.
Ahh, I see. Series is an absolute Episode number, not the one that's relative to the Season number. Like the No. column in TV.com Episode Guide listings, e.g.: Arrested Development.

Side topic:

Speaking of TV.com… the redesigns have gotten progressively worse, making it harder or impossible to browse certain program information as conveniently as it used to be. Fortunately epguides.com has remained a useful front-end to TV.com for quickly obtaining full Season/Episode/Title summary listings, e.g. Arrested Development. I wish something the latter could be integrated with DVDpedia for keeping better track of my DVD archive of TV programs recorded with EyeTV, though I haven't really thought it through yet and considered other alternatives that might already be possible. The ~2.5-year-old XML Export and TVPedia thread is closest I've found on the forum to discussing something like that.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The guys at El Gato were very generous and sent us a free EyeTV tuner and we been working on an importer for .eyetv files. You can download the beta if it's something you would like to try dragging .eyetv files over the DVDpedia's dock icon for import.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

cataloging EyeTV recordings

Post by sjk »

Thanks, Conor. That's fantastic news. Just gave it a try and it works quite well for a beta. Main thing missing I'd care about is the Episode name. Also noticed it prepends a '!' to stereo in the Sound field value.

A major bonus is that it recognizes .eyetv packages even if the .mpeg files have been deleted, which is something I've done to keep a history of recordings after they've been exported and/or viewed.

I'm really excited about the potential of this to finally have a way to conveniently catalog EyeTV recordings, whether or not they've been burned to DVD and/or deleted. Would you prefer more feedback about it in a new thread (public) or via e-mail (private)? I'd rather not keep posting in this thread since I already feel guilty for hijacking it.
Tamburra
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: cataloging EyeTV recordings

Post by Tamburra »

sjk wrote:
Tamburra wrote:Its just the number of what episode it is from the very beginning of the shows birth pretty much.
Ahh, I see. Series is an absolute Episode number, not the one that's relative to the Season number. Like the No. column in TV.com Episode Guide listings, e.g.: Arrested Development.
Wow. That is the first time I saw the new TV.com layout. It is horrible. I don't even see the Absolute episode number anymore on there site which is where i grabbed all my info from. I searched a few other sites to just not find that info which was once listed on tv.com. Looks as if I am going to just have to figure it out myself which won't be that hard to do anyway.
sjk wrote:Thanks, Conor. That's fantastic news. Just gave it a try and it works quite well for a beta. Main thing missing I'd care about is the Episode name. Also noticed it prepends a '!' to stereo in the Sound field value.

A major bonus is that it recognizes .eyetv packages even if the .mpeg files have been deleted, which is something I've done to keep a history of recordings after they've been exported and/or viewed.

I'm really excited about the potential of this to finally have a way to conveniently catalog EyeTV recordings, whether or not they've been burned to DVD and/or deleted. Would you prefer more feedback about it in a new thread (public) or via e-mail (private)? I'd rather not keep posting in this thread since I already feel guilty for hijacking it.
Haha. Your def stealing my spotlight.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Tamburra wrote:That is the first time I saw the new TV.com layout. It is horrible.
There was some other one before it that was at least as bad, which had temporarily replaced one that was still tolerably usable. I don't know the full history.
I don't even see the Absolute episode number anymore on there site which is where i grabbed all my info from.
It's not the "No." far left column? Hmm, maybe I don't understand your Series value after all.
Your def stealing my spotlight.
Took me a bit to get "your def = you're definitely". Perhaps I am. :)
Tamburra
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Tamburra »

It's not the "No." far left column? Hmm, maybe I don't understand your Series value after all.
I don't see any info on the left column displaying anything with a series number.
All i did was make a total count number for the tv shows and called it Series #. About a month ago TV.com use to have that info on there site.

Here is another example of what I mean by series number.

Code: Select all

Season     Episode     Series
   1          1           1
   1          2           2
   1          3           3
   1          4           4
   2          1           5
   2          2           6
   2          3           7
   2          4           8
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Tamburra wrote:I don't see any info on the left column displaying anything with a series number.
It's still there, e.g. on the Arrested Development page I linked to earlier. But it doesn't have Season-Episode numbers, like on the comparable epguides.com page, and similar to:
Here is another example of what I mean by series number.
… if you move Series to the first column and combine Season-Episode.

Okay, here's what TV.com looks like here (in Safari 3.2.1):

Tamburra
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Tamburra »

I was unaware of the button to change the view on the tv.com page. I now see how it works on the site. That makes things a little easier. Thanks for the clue.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Yup, selecting All is the key.
Tamburra
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Tamburra »

sjk wrote:Yup, selecting All is the key.
There was a button on the top right that I had to push in order to get that view.

sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Tamburra wrote:There was a button on the top right that I had to push in order to get that view.
Ahh, I'd missed that new Guide/List View toggle. Glad we were able to help each other. :)