"complete collection" feature in Bookpedia

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
koloraro

"complete collection" feature in Bookpedia

Post by koloraro »

Dear friends,

First, sorry for my broken english. I've been trying Bookpedia to see if it fit my needs. I'm a book collector of everything I could about Science-Fiction, pulps, gamebooks and others (usually old books). I have thousand of books and it's time to get away thos old spreadsheets...

What I like from Bookpedia (not seen on other similar apps) is the hierarchy system, so I can create a "sci-fi" collection and then subcollections (novels, pulps, compilations,..) and put there the books. For me its perfect and everything seems fine and well-organized, easy to find. The other features are good and others I don't use them.

What I miss from Bookpedia is a "color system" to mark items in my collections, like tags (etiquetas) in OSX.
An example: I have a sub-collection of gamebooks that is composed of 10 books but I only have 6 of them. As I want to use Bookpedia as an encyclopedia with the info of all the books and I have collected the information of these ten books, I want that bookpedia shows this situation. If I add the 10 books info I won't know if I have the 10 or only the 6 that I really have. So I would like to asign 6 books with a red background (haven't) and the other 4 with green beackground (have it), perhaps yellow background for books that are in bad condition, or anything I need (could be customizable by the user).

Hope not to sound confusing, but for me this will be THE feature, so I could track my collections to see what books I don't have in seconds and, at the same time, I will have all the information about every existent collection even though I have no books on it. Desired books feature won't work this way. For me it's not important if I have 2650 books or 2651, what I will need is such a kind of system to track the books that I have and the books that I will have someday (with info collected from other collectors, internet or libraries).

So friends at Bruji, is this feature an utopia, easy to implement or is yet in the wishlist? Perhaps there is something similar in Bookpedia, but I couldn't find.
Hope to see this kind of feature soon so then I will buy Bookpedia, DVDpedia for the films and Gamepedia for my super collection of 8-bit computer games.

Thanks for your time.

Kolo.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: "complete collection" feature in Bookpedia

Post by Nora »

Thanks for your feedback. There is no option to color entries in Bookpedia but what you could do to keep your library and collections organized is use the wish list with its star marking. When you include the wish list in your library (select the wish list and choose 'Include in library' from the File menu) then all the entries in it will be visible in your regular library and collections but the entries will be marked with a yellow star in the Status column. (If you don't see that column, go into the View menu > View Options and check the box next to 'Status Image'.)
So now you can see at a glance which entries you don't own yet but still keep them all together with the rest of your database.
Thanks for the idea on coloring entries though, we'll keep it in mind for the future.
koloraro

Post by koloraro »

Dear Nora,

Thank for fast reply. I've testing this option with "wish list" items. Well, as it's not exactly what I wanted, works almost the same.
I could enter items I haven't and have them on the sub-folder, but at least it's like reusing an option and only have two options (star or not starred).
Certainly, it will be more interesting with colors (at least for me) as anyone could use this feature in any way he likes.
Thanks again. I will try a the rest of the features and the exporting engine and results and surely have soon a three-pack pedias licence.

Another thing, I know it's a little freaky but..., is it possible to have the Worldofspectrum.org database on the gamepedia application?
They don't change the web as it works as an encyclopedia, so the script will last long, and have the whole Spectrum games and utilities listed inside. I'm an 8-bit games collector and there isn't any application for Mac (I think the same for windows) with such features. The same with lemon64.com for commodores, and so on for Amstrads, MSX,... :)

Well, thanks !!!

Kolo.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

is it possible to have the Worldofspectrum.org database on the gamepedia application
We're trying to limit new additions to websites that have APIs for developers since that makes the writing and maintenance much easier. But we'll take a look at the site in any case - thanks for the suggestion! (If you have some programming experience you could also write the plug-in yourself. If that sounds interesting, take a look at our plug-in page for more information.)
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Nora wrote:When you include the wish list in your library (select the wish list and choose 'Include in library' from the File menu) then all the entries in it will be visible in your regular library and collections but the entries will be marked with a yellow star in the Status column.
After doing that, presumably selecting the Wish List collection and running Exclude Collection From Library will restore it to its original excluded state? My intention is to temporarily make the Wish List an included collection, run Show Duplicates, delete unwanted dups, and make Wish List excluded again. Seems like that'll work like I want it to but I'm double-checking first anyway. Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Checking first.
Perfectly fine to do that.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Excellent. I'll try it as soon after "importing" my final batch of rental entries from old paper receipts, before moving on to theatre stubs and checking if my old Palm OS db can be salvaged. Such a relief getting years of this different backlog all conveniently stored in DVDpedia. :)