Find/Replace

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Nanook
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Find/Replace

Post by Nanook »

Here's another one that I haven't requested yet. ;)

I'm fine-tuning my genres, and it would be handy to have this feature. Hopefully we would be able to restrict it to certain fields.

Thanks!
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Find/Replace

Post by Nora »

Also on the list. In the meantime, check out these posts here and here about using the SQL backend to do find and replace.
kengi
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kengi »

I've found (at least within Gamepedia) that I can select multiple games and pull up the information page, then change all of them at the same time. As long as they are all blank to begin with, they will all gain the new genre classification. If there is already a genre listed, it will add to that one, resulting in 2 genres.

Not the ideal solution, but perhaps it will help.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

For replacing in the new multi value fields instead of adding to them, you would need to check the genre box and leave it blank to empty the field then edit again to add the new value.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Conor wrote:For replacing in the new multi value fields instead of adding to them, you would need to check the genre box and leave it blank to empty the field then edit again to add the new value.
Does this apply to modifying other fields for multiple entries, too? For example, if I want to add new tags to the Tags field of multiple entries without deleting any old ones would I leave the checkbox unchecked? And any duplicates would be ignored? And, if checked, the new tags would replace the old ones instead?

Hmm, just realized I could test this with some expendable entries but I'll post my questions anyway in case someone wants to answer before I've done that testing. Thanks!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

This whole post is about fields like genre and tag, that have multiple values. The normal behavior is that new tags or genres are added to the existing ones. In order to replace the values in these fields the two step process described above is needed where the check box is set but nothing typed into the field (the program can only assume you want to remove all the tags in that case, for this is the only reason to have an empty box with a check mark for editing). Anything that is not checked will not be edited in anyway whatsoever.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

Got it. Looks like any value modifications in a multi-entry edit sets the corresponding checkboxes, and unsetting checkboxes afterwards will ignore those modifications. All my tests with different Tag modification combinations worked like I hoped they would so I'm more confident about changing values on larger batches of entries in the future.