Sync between different computers

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
rotten_rita
Inductee
Inductee

Sync between different computers

Post by rotten_rita »

I'd like to use DVDpedia on my mac at the office and at home. Is there a way to sync the libaries with mobileMe? Can I change the location where the information is stored (where is that actually?) to a place on the iDisk and launch the App from there?

Great App anyway

Florian
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Sync between different computers

Post by sjk »

Not sure if it'll work with iDisk, but you can click the purple-circled '?' in the bottom-right corner of the General tab in Preferences to display the Moving the database Help page. Wherever it's stored, you'd definitely only want to access it with one instance of DVDpedia running at a time since it's not a multi-user app.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Sync between different computers

Post by Alex »

You can certainly change the location of the database that DVDPedia uses, hold down the Option key when starting the application and it will prompt you to choose a different database or create a new one.

If you want to move the database from its default location of your Home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia:

1. copy this folder (the DVDPedia one, not the whole Library/...) to the location you want
2. start DVDPedia while holding down the Option key
3. it will prompt you to choose a database
4. choose the one from the new location
4. DVDPedia will read this database and remember this location for future launches.

A word of caution though, the iDisk is on Apple's servers on the internet and access to it might be slow and unreliable, depending on your internet connection. You can certainly give it a try, but keep a local copy of your database in case you start experiencing problems with the iDisk. I personally would not put my databases on a remote location such as an iDisk.

Cheers.