Searching your own database using the iSight

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
JT281

Searching your own database using the iSight

Post by JT281 »

I'm using Bookpedia for a small library environment (~500 books). Is there a way to select items from your own database using the iSight barcode scanner? In other words I want to use the iSight for the search option in the top right corner (to select an item by its ISBN). That way when someone pulls a book off the shelf and wants to check it out, I can just scan the barcode with the iSight and get to that book right away.

Is there already a way to do this and I'm just overlooking it? So far I only see the iSight option for adding new books (which worked like a miracle and made this whole process much faster).

Thanks.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Searching your own database using the iSight

Post by Nora »

Unfortunately the iSight scan doesn't work on the internal search because there's no way to trigger the iSight from the search field. But if you have a USB scanner, you can use that to scan UPCs into the search field to find entries in your database.
Thanks for the feedback though - we'll keep it in mind for the future.
JT281

Re: Searching your own database using the iSight

Post by JT281 »

Would it be difficult for someone to write a plug-in that allows you to trigger the iSight for the search field? Like by just pressing command+i or something and it brings it up? We have barcode scanners, but I have a love-hate relationship with them.

If not, hope to see it in a future version.