Custom fields data type

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
thebodster
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Custom fields data type

Post by thebodster »

Hi,

I would love to be able to decide what data type the custom fields contain. For example I would like to set a custom field as "Movie Poster" and have it include a poster from moviepicturedb.com

Ben
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Custom fields data type

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the suggestion. We have it on our to do list to expand the custom field types, but we had not considered images as a possible type. We most likely will expand the links feature to recognize images linked to an entry and have some kind of convenient browser for that.
thebodster
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by thebodster »

Excellent news.

Thanks Conor
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

Is 'date' also on the to-do list?

I have a lot of live recordings in my collection and try to keep record of the recording-dates for those recordings.
Sometimes live recordings have been made on multiple dates (which complicates things), which I've added as comma-separated lists. Support for this would be even better :)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We got dates, check boxes and long fields like the comments on the to-do list. So many options and possibilities it is going to be tricky to integrate all that in the right way.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

With custom checkboxes and dates will it be possible to integrate them into a view that looks something like this (from KavaMovies List View)?:

Checkboxes would be really useful to me for adding simple on/off metadata, sometimes in combination with Smart Collection criteria. For example, I could convert the regular "Must See" collection I'm currently using to a Smart Collection that matched the "Must See (is) Checked" condition. In that case the "Must See" field could be hidden in the list view table but sometimes it would be handy to be visible like in the screen image above.
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

Conor wrote:We got dates, check boxes and long fields like the comments on the to-do list. So many options and possibilities it is going to be tricky to integrate all that in the right way.
Understandable! Whatever improvements get in, the Pedia's get better all the time.

A bit off-topic; I'm always wondering if 'Bruji' is your day-to-day job or a (very time consuming) 'hobby' that you all have beside having another job?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Day to day job for both Conor and I, we are so very happy it pays the bills for a couple and we are able to do what we love. DVDpedia started seven years ago as a project for Conor to learn Objective-C programming. I loved it when I saw it and we decided it might be good enough to share. It was so well received it quickly became a hobby; in a couple of months it was a full time job. Three years ago we started contracting freelance jobs and this year we hired our first part time employee (Alex who you will see around the forum) to help us with support and he is currently working on a new web page design and knowledge base. Bruji is ever growing but we will always keep it small, one of the best aspects is the way Mac users treat a small company like friends.
thajeztah
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by thajeztah »

You all do a wonderful job! And if ever a paid upgrade is required (it amazes me that you don't charge for them), count me in!
Wondercow
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Wondercow »

I know this is an old thread but this is exactly what I want, so why create a new one :) I'd like to request, in addition to selectable data types for custom fields, that the criteria for Smart Collections include data type-specific operations, e.g. Custom Field 1 is greater than X (for a number field, obviously).