Ability to use a "true" title for alpha sort

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
bugula
Contributor
Contributor

Ability to use a "true" title for alpha sort

Post by bugula »

I've just recently switched over to DVDpedia and am loving it! The only feature that I'm missing from my original cataloging tool is the ability to add a title sort field to each entry (ie. Star Wars: A New Hope could be sorted as Star Wars 4, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back could be sorted as Star Wars 5, etc.). Is this baked in and I'm just missing it? If not, it'd be a great feature to have for cataloging both movie and TV series.

Thanks!
Nanook
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Ability to use a "true" title for alpha sort

Post by Nanook »

In the Edit window, it's called "Sort Title," the third field from the top.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

I think bugula might have been referring to the fact that he wanted to sort not through the actual title, but a customized one? At least that's how I read the email if you want "Star Wars a New Hope" to be sorted as "Star Wars 4".

You could use a customized field where you insert that title, then click on the actual title to sort it by that first, then click on your customized title.

Keep in mind you might need to add some padding (01, 02 instead of 1, 2) for sorting to work properly and not have 1, 2, 20, 3, 30, etc.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Nanook is right that the field you're looking for is the "Sort Title" field however this is not turned on automatically so you might not see it in your Edit window. To turn the field on, go into the Preferences/Fields and check the box next to 'Sort Title' for the Add/Edit window. You can also drag it into the position where you'd like to see it in the Add/Edit window. You can also display it in the table view after this in a column.

After that you'll see the Sort Title field in your Add/Edit window and you can use it to tell the program exactly how you'd like it to sort certain entries, i.e. enter "Star Wars 4" for "Star Wars: A New Hope" and "Star Wars 5" for "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back". You only need to fill out the sort title field for those titles that you want the program to sort differently - if there is no information for the sort title then the program will automatically sort by the regular title field.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Alex »

I missed the fact that nanook had specified "Sort Title". Oh, well now you have an extra way of sorting if you find that Sort Title and regular title are not enough :mrgreen:

But sorting by more than 2 titles may cause confusion though.
bugula
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bugula »

Nanook, that sounds like the field I'm familiar with from my original software. Where can I find that? In the edit window, I do not see that as a field.

Thanks!

Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The "Sort Title" field is not turned on automatically. To turn it on, go into the Preferences/Fields and check the box next to 'Sort Title' for the Add/Edit window. After this you can also display it in the table view as a column.
bugula
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bugula »

Ah, perfect! Thanks so much - I am now head over heels for this app! :)
Nanook
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Nanook »

Oops. I must have turned it on so long ago, I don't even remember doing it... ;) Funny, 'cause it was a feature I requested before it was implemented. :/ http://www.bruji.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1562