The Open Movie DB

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
ghostshadow

The Open Movie DB

Post by ghostshadow »

I tried to search for this before posting. If I am just duplicating previous posts please ignore me. I couldn't find very much information on this topic here. So I thought I would suggest maybe trying to use TMDb (the open movie database) - http://www.themoviedb.org/

Since we all know Amazon are being, a few choice words, about the whole scraping idea, there has to be an alternative. There was one thing that I absolutely loved about Pocketpedia. That was the ability to add movies to my list while I was away from the computer. The newest version of Pocketpedia is looking really good. I like the improvements, but for me, it's a step backwards. I know the Bruji team isn't happy about removing amazon scraping. I wouldn't be very happy either. Which I am not since I relied on the mobile application.

The reason I bring up TMDb is because of past expieriences with IMDb and Amazon. XBMC (xbox media center), BOXEE, and a few other multimedia applications scrape Amazon and IMDb for movie information when adding files to the media library in the application. Amazon and IMDb didn't like this. So they blocked XBMC from grabbing data for movies. They then turned to The open movie database. Now things are working again in XBMC.

I thought this could be a solution for Pocketpedia. The TMDb Api is open to the public to use. You are free to scrape and use the API just as long as you do not use it for commercial financial gains. Since Pocketpedia is free in the App Store, I don't think their would be an issue. They also license the API for commercial projects as well.

http://api.themoviedb.org/2.1/

Just an idea. I am no way affiliated with TMDb. Love the work Bruji has done with the Pedia suite.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: The Open Movie DB

Post by Conor »

We were not aware of The Open Movie Database, does look like a great candidate. We hope to find a place as friendly as the Open Movie DB but that also has other media since Pocketpedia can handle Books, CDs and Video Games as well. Having a single API for all the searches simplifies things for Pocketpedia as it can't be updated as quickly as the desktop Pedias due to the App Store process. So a stable and reliable API is a must. Thank you for the information.
ghostshadow

Re: The Open Movie DB

Post by ghostshadow »

That makes complete sense. Hopefully their will be some type of an all in one solution that covers all formats of media. The Open Movie Database seems like a step in the right direction for the open development of Media players such as xbox media center, plex, boxee, etc. Hopefully there will be a solution for Pocketpedia. :) The Bruji team really have done a top notch job on the development of the Pedia suites. I thoroughly enjoy using them.