add entries dragging files

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
marco

add entries dragging files

Post by marco »

Hello all!
I'm a long time but not constant user of this great tool. I've a request to help me to add the movies present in my archive... It would be great that dvdpedia automatically looks in a folder, finds out the video files and from the titles it automatically creates the entries for the movies searching the in preferred databases. I know that something like that should be already present... but I was not able to use it.
In fact I tried to drag my folder over the icon in the application folder, the icon in my dock (with the software both open and closed) and also within the windows of dvdpedia... but nothing happened. So I cant use this option... If you can give me some suggestions... please do.

Also the "add multiple dvd" is not really useful but just because when I drag my files inot this windows the whole path and extension is taken as a name (for instance: /Volumes/Lacie/Cartoni/Il Re Leone.avi)
Anyway, with this option the links to the files are not created.
What do you think? In my opinion it should help alot!
Regards
Marco
Conor
Top Dog

Re: add entries dragging files

Post by Conor »

Hi Marco,

The dragging won't let you do whole folders just movie files. Sorry about the confusion, use the "Import" command under the "File" menu instead of dragging. This command will let you select an entire folder for DVDpedia to go searching for movie files in. After that all the found movie files will be placed in an excluded collection called "Imported Links", where you can use the gear button on the bottom right of the movie edit window to download more information including the cover images. After that you use the "Include Collection in Library" command under the "File" menu to incorporate all the movies at once into your regular collection, or otherwise drag and drop them into your library collection as you add more information for each movies.
marco

Post by marco »

Conor wrote:Hi Marco,

The dragging won't let you do whole folders just movie files. Sorry about the confusion, use the "Import" command under the "File" menu instead of dragging. This command will let you select an entire folder for DVDpedia to go searching for movie files in. After that all the found movie files will be placed in an excluded collection called "Imported Links", where you can use the gear button on the bottom right of the movie edit window to download more information including the cover images. After that you use the "Include Collection in Library" command under the "File" menu to incorporate all the movies at once into your regular collection, or otherwise drag and drop them into your library collection as you add more information for each movies.
thank you Conor!!! as usual very useful, kind and precise! This function works great!
Generally speaking, I saw that there are a couple of things that can be also improved. If I download infos from an archive, and then I do it again with another archive, maybe because the first time the movie was wrongly recognized, the fields are not upgraded with the new infos and I need first of all empty them by hand. An auto update could be useful
Second point: It would be great to have an automatic check for new files in a directory, otherwise each time I add new files I've to remember to add them one by one, or adding again the folder, I've to skip each already present file (maybe an option to skip files already archived should work fine)
Last point, surely annoying, regardings italian archives and databases... actually it seems that I can search in dvd.it, bol.it and a third one. Bol.it does not work anymore. I can suggest you to add, if it is possible, www.mymovies.it and www.filmup.it
Ok... again thanx alot for all your work and efforts to make our digital life more pleasant
mikic
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mikic »

Why haven't I known this feature before?!?
It's great!
Thanks.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sjk »

mikic wrote:Why haven't I known this feature before?!?
I ask myself that every time I learn about something because it's mentioned on the forum, which happens relatively often and inspires me to keep hanging out here. :)
lolobono

Post by lolobono »

In Import> list> file
This item is already in the database.
Can there be a checkbox "apply to other elements" ?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We will be adding a check box (or actually making it the default to not add duplicates) and only import new files via the drag and drop of folders. As Marco above mentioned after an initial import of a large folder of movies it's time consuming to add new movies due to the warning about duplicates.
lolobono

Post by lolobono »

That's great, thank you