10 star rating system

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
scooter64
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: 10 star rating system

Post by scooter64 »

Nora wrote:We have the stars ready but including it in 4.6 turned out to be more complicated than expected due to the format of the my rating in the internal database. We do promise it will make it, but we have postponed it until the version where we have to update the database for new fields as well as other changes.

Hello,
Don't want to appear like I'm pestering.

I was wondering which of the DVDpedia updates would likely include this feature:

4.6.3 ?

4.7.0 ?

5.0.0 ?

Use DVDpedia mac & iphone everyday, and would sure love to have more options to rate movies. The idea kbarnes70 offered is an option, but with 2800+ movies I really don't want to go through my collection twice.

cheers,
Scott

PS- Theoretically, would Pocketpedia2's interface allow half-stars to be used/viewed if the feature was added to DVDpedia? Just occurred to me that this could be a hick-up without any updates to Pocketpedia2 through Itunes? Yikes!
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

scooter64 wrote: Use DVDpedia mac & iphone everyday, and would sure love to have more options to rate movies. The idea kbarnes70 offered is an option, but with 2800+ movies I really don't want to go through my collection twice.
Fair point. But you could semi-automate it. If you assign rankings now to your movies, say 1 - 10 stars, then if Bruji incorporated it, you could create smart collections based on 1 star, 2 star etc and then bulk edit the results to include the new Bruji method. Should only take a little while no matter how many movies you have because the maximum number of smart collections you would need to make would be 10. Only takes a few seconds to make a smart collection, and a few more to do a bulk replacement - should all be done in well under 30 minutes.

scooter64 wrote:PS- Theoretically, would Pocketpedia2's interface allow half-stars to be used/viewed if the feature was added to DVDpedia? Just occurred to me that this could be a hick-up without any updates to Pocketpedia2 through Itunes? Yikes!
That's a good point. But you could keep my method as well as the new Bruji method and my method would display the field in PP2.

Just some thoughts.

Kind Regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

As you mention it involves a lot more areas of the program than just changing the my rating display. So it will be done, and will be in a future update, but will take a while to get done.
scooter64
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by scooter64 »

kbarnes70 wrote:
scooter64 wrote: Use DVDpedia mac & iphone everyday, and would sure love to have more options to rate movies. The idea kbarnes70 offered is an option, but with 2800+ movies I really don't want to go through my collection twice.
Fair point. But you could semi-automate it. If you assign rankings now to your movies, say 1 - 10 stars, then if Bruji incorporated it, you could create smart collections based on 1 star, 2 star etc and then bulk edit the results to include the new Bruji method. Should only take a little while no matter how many movies you have because the maximum number of smart collections you would need to make would be 10. Only takes a few seconds to make a smart collection, and a few more to do a bulk replacement - should all be done in well under 30 minutes.

scooter64 wrote:PS- Theoretically, would Pocketpedia2's interface allow half-stars to be used/viewed if the feature was added to DVDpedia? Just occurred to me that this could be a hick-up without any updates to Pocketpedia2 through Itunes? Yikes!
That's a good point. But you could keep my method as well as the new Bruji method and my method would display the field in PP2.

Just some thoughts.

Kind Regards,

Keith

Keith,
Thanks for the suggestion, it worked like a charm….actually took about 15 minutes….i envisioned a nightmare, but you're exactly right. I really appreciated your more thorough explanation…and you're right, it was so easy!

Cheers!
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

scooter64 wrote: Keith,
Thanks for the suggestion, it worked like a charm….actually took about 15 minutes….i envisioned a nightmare, but you're exactly right. I really appreciated your more thorough explanation…and you're right, it was so easy!

Cheers!
Excellent! Glad to have helped.

Kind Regards,

Keith