More search sites for Bookpedia

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
phule92
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

More search sites for Bookpedia

Post by phule92 »

If possible, please add search sites to Bookpedia for Barnes & Noble and used bookstores such as Alibris and Powell's.
jeorge089
Contributor
Contributor

Re: More search sites for Bookpedia

Post by jeorge089 »

I'd like to bring this request back to life. It would be extremely useful to have Barnes & Noble as a search site, especially as I live in CO and so cannot get an Amazon associate account. As of right now, there is no consistent data source for adding books - I have to manually go to Amazon or BN and copy information in. Adding Barnes and Noble as a search site would solve this issue.

Thanks so much!

Bookpedia version: 5.3.1
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Unfortunately Barnes & Noble doesn't offer an API to developers so we can't use their site but Conor is currently working on implementing Google Books. If you want to try it out in the beta, you can download that here.
jeorge089
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jeorge089 »

Ah, that makes sense. I've briefly used another app called Readerware (Free demo: http://www.readerware.com/index.php/pro ... ks_details) that does search the BN site - it'd be interesting to see how they do it without an API.

And I'll have to give the beta a shot - sounds interesting!

Thanks!
jeorge089
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jeorge089 »

The beta version with Google Books was great! Looking forward to it in the next release (or whenever it will be :) )

One other question - what determines the order in which the app searches the sites?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

They come in a default (useful to English speakers) order, but it can be set in the Bookpedia -> Preferences -> Sites. Drag and drop them into your preferred order, also turn off any that are irrelevant such as foreign language sites, by unchecking the box next to the name.