Place to store metadata about a collection

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Oolfanska
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Place to store metadata about a collection

Post by Oolfanska »

It would be great if there were a way to save information about a collection rather than entering the same piece of info in each database entry. For instance, say I have a URL that I use to look up episode numbers for a TV show. Currently I'm putting that URL in one of the episodes at the top of the list, so I can find it. It's a little kludgy, especially since the only way to get to a clickable version is to open that entry, go to the Extra page, and click. It would be slightly better if the URL were clickable when displayed in column view, but still unsatisfying. Best would be if doing a "cmd-I" on a green collection icon would display an info page for collection notes, clickable URLs, or whatever.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Place to store metadata about a collection

Post by Nora »

Currently I'm putting that URL in one of the episodes at the top of the list, so I can find it.
Try linking the URL to an entry by dragging it over the info view of the entry (that's the one below the table view). That'll display the link in the info view for you so all you have to do is click on it to open the page.
Oolfanska
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Place to store metadata about a collection

Post by Oolfanska »

Aha--I see that you're using the Links field. Thanks. (I spent the last hour figuring out [successfully] how to get the URL field to display in Info View.)

Dragging the URL over Info View works well, at least in regards to making a clickable URL available in a given record. It still only adds the URL to one record at a time, though, even when I have multiple records selected. So it would still be nice to have metadata for a collection, both for convenience and to avoid storing multiple copies of data that's only needed once. :)