iPad version!!

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: iPad version!!

Post by Conor »

Hi Ken,

All your assumptions are correct. We are all about open access, specifically so data can be used anywhere, anytime. You could certainly develop an iPad app for personal use. We would appreciate it if you did not sync Amazon data (especially the Amazon URL) as it carries our developer token for access to Amazon and they are unlikely to take the time to investigate if it's our product. Not syncing any Amazon sourced data would not violate Amazon's terms and you would even be able to release a commercial version. As for our terms, we don't have any; the possibilities for our program are limitless. If you plan to release the app, we stand behind our open philosophy with the addition that we would like to test it out and help identify any pitfalls with our development roadmap. We will even demonstrate our open stance further and provide you with the internal Core Data graph and objective-c classes from DVDpedia that would allow you to read the MySQL into Cocoa directly as well as use the same exact graph on the iPad. With those files and a few lines of example code from Apple the database would be taken care of. The only work left would be the display and sync of the data, and any other cool integration that you are planning.
kenhayward

Post by kenhayward »

Conor,

That is a very impressive response, thank you.

I will send you my contact details privately and am very interested to pursue this. It may take a while to get an application completed (from my experience months rather than weeks). I would of course welcome you testing the application and even if it did end up being commercial would ensure it was cheap enough to be an impulse add on for any DVDPedia users.

Regards

Ken
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:Hi Ken,

All your assumptions are correct. We are all about open access, specifically so data can be used anywhere, anytime. You could certainly develop an iPad app for personal use. We would appreciate it if you did not sync Amazon data (especially the Amazon URL) as it carries our developer token for access to Amazon and they are unlikely to take the time to investigate if it's our product. Not syncing any Amazon sourced data would not violate Amazon's terms and you would even be able to release a commercial version. As for our terms, we don't have any; the possibilities for our program are limitless. If you plan to release the app, we stand behind our open philosophy with the addition that we would like to test it out and help identify any pitfalls with our development roadmap. We will even demonstrate our open stance further and provide you with the internal Core Data graph and objective-c classes from DVDpedia that would allow you to read the MySQL into Cocoa directly as well as use the same exact graph on the iPad. With those files and a few lines of example code from Apple the database would be taken care of. The only work left would be the display and sync of the data, and any other cool integration that you are planning.
You guys rock!!

Kind Regards,

Keith
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

kenhayward wrote:Conor,

That is a very impressive response, thank you.

I will send you my contact details privately and am very interested to pursue this. It may take a while to get an application completed (from my experience months rather than weeks). I would of course welcome you testing the application and even if it did end up being commercial would ensure it was cheap enough to be an impulse add on for any DVDPedia users.

Regards

Ken
Ken - if you go this way, count me as your first customer!!

Kind Regards,

Keith
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

jschaffe wrote:
Conor wrote:The Amazon issue is with their API that covers all 6 official country stores (although Germany, France and Japan have only recently added the mobile clause).
You know Conor, at first I agreed with the conclusion that Pedias without Amazon would be critically compromised (i.e. be bad for Bruji business). However, I have to agree that Bruji without the iPad would probably be worse off!
Totally agree.

Kind Regards,

Keith
adamhh
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by adamhh »

Having bought an iphone just as pocketpedia was removed, I'm very frustrated I do no have a portable pedia solution (the Evernote workaround just isn't practical with large collections).

I would like an Ipad, but I'll not buy one until there is a pedia for it. I use the pedias everyday, especially when surfing the net. Thus I don't see the point in splashing out on a new technology that doesn't support one of my favourite applications.

As soon as a pedia solution for ipad becomes available, I'll be among the first to trial it - once I've sped to the mac store.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

adamhh wrote:Having bought an iphone just as pocketpedia was removed, I'm very frustrated I do no have a portable pedia solution (the Evernote workaround just isn't practical with large collections).

I would like an Ipad, but I'll not buy one until there is a pedia for it. I use the pedias everyday, especially when surfing the net. Thus I don't see the point in splashing out on a new technology that doesn't support one of my favourite applications.

As soon as a pedia solution for ipad becomes available, I'll be among the first to trial it - once I've sped to the mac store.
I hear where you are coming from! I do have an iPad and find it very useful even though my Pocketpedia only runs in a small central portion of its screen. But I love the IMDb app and Flixster app and make use of them a lot in pursuing my movie obsession, er, hobby :)

Kind Regards,

Keith