Get ratings from BBFC?

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Get ratings from BBFC?

Post by kbarnes70 »

Hi guys,

I know this is a long shot but it's worth asking.

The movie ratings which DVDpedia takes from IMDb are the American MPAA ratings. As you may know, the American ratings are different from the UK ratings. For obvious reasons, being a UK resident, I'd prefer to have the movies rated by the UK system. The UK ratings are made by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) and you can see their website search capability, which is very good, here: http://www.bbfc.co.uk/search/

Would it be possible to make a plug-in that fetched the ratings from the BBFC website? I know this is something to do with APIs and so on, but being entirely non-technical I have no idea what that means or entails. If it were possible to do this, it would be terrific.

Thanks for listening.

Kind regards,

Keith

PS. I have tried getting the UK ratings from the Amazon <spit> UK website but it's patchy and unreliable.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Get ratings from BBFC?

Post by kbarnes70 »

kbarnes70 wrote:Hi guys,

I know this is a long shot but it's worth asking.

The movie ratings which DVDpedia takes from IMDb are the American MPAA ratings. As you may know, the American ratings are different from the UK ratings. For obvious reasons, being a UK resident, I'd prefer to have the movies rated by the UK system. The UK ratings are made by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) and you can see their website search capability, which is very good, here: http://www.bbfc.co.uk/search/

Would it be possible to make a plug-in that fetched the ratings from the BBFC website? I know this is something to do with APIs and so on, but being entirely non-technical I have no idea what that means or entails. If it were possible to do this, it would be terrific.

Thanks for listening.

Kind regards,

Keith

PS. I have tried getting the UK ratings from the Amazon <spit> UK website but it's patchy and unreliable.

I have heard from the BBCF and they say they have no API at the moment but they are considering introducing one in the future. If they do, maybe then it would be possible to get info from there?

Kind regards,

Keith
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Exciting that they are thinking about an API. Please keep us informed if they launch the API in case we miss the announcement.
marumari
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by marumari »

I know that IMDb keeps track of pretty much every rating - I would think it would be possible to get it from there? For example, here is the rating for Das Leben der Anderen (an awesome film!):

Germany:12 | Czech Republic:12 | USA:R | Argentina:13 | Finland:K-11 | Sweden:7 | UK:15 | Ireland:15A | Singapore:M18 | Hong Kong:IIB | France:Unrated | Australia:MA | Netherlands:12 | Portugal:M/16 | Canada:14A (Ontario) | Switzerland:10 (canton of Vaud) | Switzerland:10 (canton of Geneva) | Italy:T | South Korea:15 | Malaysia:U | Spain:7 | Brazil:12 | New Zealand:M | India:A | Norway:11

Or for an even more popular movie, like Avatar:

USA:PG-13 (certificate #45663) | South Korea:12 | UK:12A | Norway:11 | Ireland:12A | Sweden:11 | Singapore:PG | Denmark:11 | Brazil:12 | Finland:K-13 | Switzerland:12 (canton of Geneva) | Switzerland:12 (canton of Vaud) | Netherlands:12 | Philippines:PG-13 (MTRCB) | Australia:M | Portugal:M/6 (Qualidade) | Canada:14A (British Columbia/Manitoba) | Canada:G (Quebec) | Canada:PG (Alberta/Ontario) | Germany:12 | New Zealand:M | Iceland:10 | Hong Kong:IIA | Taiwan:GP (original rating) | Argentina:13 | Peru:14 | Japan:G | Mexico:B
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

Conor wrote:Exciting that they are thinking about an API. Please keep us informed if they launch the API in case we miss the announcement.
Will do, Conor.

Kind regards,

Keith
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by kbarnes70 »

marumari wrote:I know that IMDb keeps track of pretty much every rating - I would think it would be possible to get it from there? For example, here is the rating for Das Leben der Anderen (an awesome film!):

Germany:12 | Czech Republic:12 | USA:R | Argentina:13 | Finland:K-11 | Sweden:7 | UK:15 | Ireland:15A | Singapore:M18 | Hong Kong:IIB | France:Unrated | Australia:MA | Netherlands:12 | Portugal:M/16 | Canada:14A (Ontario) | Switzerland:10 (canton of Vaud) | Switzerland:10 (canton of Geneva) | Italy:T | South Korea:15 | Malaysia:U | Spain:7 | Brazil:12 | New Zealand:M | India:A | Norway:11

Or for an even more popular movie, like Avatar:

USA:PG-13 (certificate #45663) | South Korea:12 | UK:12A | Norway:11 | Ireland:12A | Sweden:11 | Singapore:PG | Denmark:11 | Brazil:12 | Finland:K-13 | Switzerland:12 (canton of Geneva) | Switzerland:12 (canton of Vaud) | Netherlands:12 | Philippines:PG-13 (MTRCB) | Australia:M | Portugal:M/6 (Qualidade) | Canada:14A (British Columbia/Manitoba) | Canada:G (Quebec) | Canada:PG (Alberta/Ontario) | Germany:12 | New Zealand:M | Iceland:10 | Hong Kong:IIA | Taiwan:GP (original rating) | Argentina:13 | Peru:14 | Japan:G | Mexico:B
Now that is really cool. I didn't know that! It would be brilliant if we could, somehow, pull the rating from the IMDb according to our own preference of country.

Kind regards,

Keith