Display sorting rules

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Display sorting rules

Post by jenv »

A Pedia will highlight the last selected sorting column in blue, but if sorting multiple columns it will not tell me what columns are being used and their order. That would be nice to know, especially for figuring out why a sort isn't right, or replicating it.
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Display sorting rules

Post by sjk »

I'd also like some type of multi-sorting indicator.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

How would you imagine something like that? With a bread-crumb line? Numbers in the column headers? (We've never seen this before so we're playing around with different ideas of how to visualize that.)
jenv
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by jenv »

I'm thinking that if this option is enabled, the grab bar at the top of the Info pane (the one that shows when you type Apple-I) gets extra-thick, about the height of one of the rows displaying an item, and contains text reading something like this: "Sort Order: Title > Author > Series # > Series". The columns are sorted as read left to right, the last (Series in this example) being the one that has the blue column header. Use Italics (or Bold) to indicate the column is a descending rather than the standard ascending sort. Use Bold (or Italics) to indicate an option sort (one created by holding down the option key when selecting a column for sorting).