Sound and Languages fields

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Sound and Languages fields

Post by Rigido »

Hi,
after some times I started to work with DVDpedia (beta) and I forgot what I was doing some months ago.
The problem is with values for "Sound" and "Languages" fields. When I started to use DP I used a generic "Dolby Digital" for the sound field and a more complete "5.1 Dolby Digital: Italian , 5.1 DTS: English" for the languages field.
After loading some movies I started to think, sometimes I do, and now I'm loading "5.1 Dolby Digital , 5.1 DTS" on the sound field and just "Italian, English" on the Languages one. It looks much better but I would like to know how people use this fields and if devs :roll: could make the sound field "bubbleable" like languages, country and other fields.

Thanks.
Alex
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Sound and Languages fields

Post by Alex »

This is something we've had a few discussions about. I feel that languages should just be the language itself (English, German, etc) not the whole "Dolby 5.1 Italian surround with THX" thing or things like "Commentary by Johnny Depp". To me, the latter belongs in features for example (which is were the a DVD lists them).

Sound should be Dobly 5.1, etc.

The problem is that when you download info for your movie from different sources out there, it might contain these entries so it's up to the user to clean them up and many people never bother to do so.

And don't even get me started on Genre and Subjects. There are a couple of web sites out there that fill these categories up with everything they can thing of, making them essentially meaningless. I've seen genres like "Horror, Comedy, War, History, American History, Action" all of them in the one field for Saving Private Ryan for exmaple :shock:

Of course, the cleaner the data we have in our Doghouse, the better it will be for everyone :mrgreen:

Cheers.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Ciao Alex,
I think I should check what I have done with my DVDStore plugin, it could help :lol:
BTW, Sound filed is not "tokenized" like (i.e.) Languages one neither in the last beta, it will ever happen? :)

Ciao.

EDIT: I just checked and I split "5.1 DTS: English" into "5.1 DTS" for sound and "English" for languages....so I just need to wait for Conor to "tokenize" Sound field too...

Cheers,
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

The sound field isn't on our map for 'tokenizing' at this point since most users seem to have just one entry for that field. But do you use a comma to separate data if you have more than one entry in the field so that if we ever do tokenize it it'll be translated without trouble.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Ciao Nora,
I just opened a poll to see how people use the "Sound" field, I hope people will vote so I'll understand if we (I and Alex too!) are the only crazy to try to clean and fill every entry with the most information available. :lol:
Please, read the post on the poll as I think that every field should be "tokenized/balooned" even just for an esthetic "cause".

Cheers.
Wondercow
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Wondercow »

I know I'm a little late here but I thought I'd share my method of cataloguing; I also know Alex won't like this :wink:

The sound can be—especially with BDs—a mix of formats and channels; a single disc could have English DTS-HD MA 5.1, English PCM original mono, French Dolby Digital 5.1, Czech DD 4.0, Spanish Dolby Surround 2.0, and Italian DD 1.0. Which one goes in the "Sound" field? Or do they all? If the latter and "Languages" is left as just "English" "French" "Czech" etc. how does one know which language goes with which format with which channels?

Using the above example my entry would be thus:
Sound: DTS, PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Surround
Languages: English DTS-HD MA 7.1, English Original 1.0, French 5.1, Czech 4.0, Italian 1.0, Spanish Dolby Surround

I alos vote for making the "Sound" field "bubblized".