DVDpedia - international 'Rated' data

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
bdge
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

DVDpedia - international 'Rated' data

Post by bdge »

Hi Conor and the team.

I know this has been requested before here and also somewhat here but these were a while back.

Is there any way that UK ratings, preferably from the BBFC but if not then from IMDB's "See all ratings for this movie" page, can be gathered instead of the US ones, which are pretty much useless as they differ so wildly from the UK?

This would be an incredibly useful addition and save the annoying fiddling when adding a new title.

If it's not possible as such, could I access the database programmatically to update them with my own code, or write an addin/plugin to do it?

Thanks,
bruce
Version: latest
Conor
Top Dog

Re: DVDpedia - international 'Rated' data

Post by Conor »

In the next version we will be adding support for internalization to our own new database. It's built by users, wiki style, so at first there will be a lot more sharing of those UK specific rating, than the ability to download them from there.

I would recommend a plug-in, as you suggest, it will allow you to do both the IMDb or the BBFC rating into your database. (Sorry for the delaying in answering, I was getting the following plug-in ready for you) I have already modified the sample plug-in as a starter point, you can download the Xcode project for the UK Rating and just building it and copying to your ~/Library/Applications Support/DVDpedia/Plug-ins will get it working. The plug-in is still called sample, but calling advance info on an entry with IMDb number will get you both the UK Rating and the UK URL, if you empty both of those fields.

BBFC would be similar but you would have to sit down and figure out both the search, gathering the results and the details rating for a particular movie.
bdge
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bdge »

Much appreciated Conor, I am going to have a look at this now.

When you say 'next version' do you mean v6, or the currently in beta (I think still?) 5?

--
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The current beta.