DVDpedia - right-click launches custom URL

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
bdge
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

DVDpedia - right-click launches custom URL

Post by bdge »

Would be great if I could right-click a movie and choose "Look up on RogerEbert.com..."

Other folks might have different favourite reviewers so the ability to create your own URL and parameters, and your own menu text, would be a plus.

I know this is not likely to be high up your list but thought I would mention it anyway.

Cheers
bruce
Conor
Top Dog

Re: DVDpedia - right-click launches custom URL

Post by Conor »

Hi Bruce,

Since the details view for the movies are based on HTML that can be customized you could add your won links for any website. For example you would make a copy of your preferred template from inside the program to your data folder and rename it (more precise instructions). Then open the file in a text editor and add the following link, to trigger a search based on tItle:

Code: Select all

<a href="http://RogerEbert.com/section/bossv2?q=[key:title]">Roger Ebert</a>
You can also use the Google I'm feeling lucky search to take you directly to the review on Roger Ebert instead of the search results that the above does:

Code: Select all

<a href="http://www.google.com/search?q=[key:title]+site:RogerEbert.com&btnI>Roger Ebert</a>
If the above title search is not enough to differentiate close named movies you might try adding the director as well with "+[key:director]" after [key:title].
bdge
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bdge »

Genius, thank you!

On a related note, the "instant search" feature in some of the Details views, which you are referring to, only seems (if applied to the pedia itself) to filter the current view, so in the case that you are looking at for example a smart collection based on a Director, and you click on an Actor in the Details view, the search will only display films with that Actor which were directed by that Director. It would be great if it could display all films with that actor in the whole library.

I don't think I've explained that very well but hopefully you can see what I mean.

Is there any way to force the filter/search to widen its scope to the entire library?

Thanks again for a superb product... love it.

--
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

We debated for quite a while if to pull the user out of the current collection into the library when filtering in order to provide the most results. In the end staying in the selected collection is less jarring and allows for more flexibility when using the filter feature (there might be times, when you might wanted to only see all the movies by a particular filter but only in that collection).

For the next version I will update the feature so you can hold down option when clicking on a filter link to be taken directly to the library and the filter applied on your collection there to show all the items, instead of those only in the current collection. Without having to do the extra two clicks required now to switch to the library.
bdge
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by bdge »

Love this feature.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

Whoa! I missed this announcement about the option key for filtered searches. Pretty cool.

I still do a right-click -> Show in "Everything Collection" and then filter for complete results, but this is useful for a quick compare to what's in my "Library".

And ... I never knew about this "I'm feeling lucky" search. Is it (was it?) achieved by adding the '&btn' after the site? I tried that but it doesn't seem to work.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

"&btnI" added to any Google search URL should trigger the I'm feeling lucky button. Hover over the link to look at the created link to make sure it's integrated correctly as the last bit go the URL.