Plex Media server integration

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
sgr@wirol.dk
Contributor
Contributor

Plex Media server integration

Post by sgr@wirol.dk »

Hi Guys,

DVDPedia integration for PMS ( Plex Media Server )
It would be very cool to be able to use the information entered in the dvd pedia,
in the Plex media server. ( in my case close to 1.000 movies)
Currently Plex Media server has very limited options for adding / changing data,
and secondly, I actually hate maintaing data on 2 seperat DB's.

In the earler days, I was using DVDPedia with the frontrow plugin and mv4 files, but first Frontrow has been discontinued,
and secondly I am (again) converting all my dvd's to mkv files, so that is why Plex seems to be the right Media server at the moment :-)

Hoping for a miracle

Keep up the good work guys
I really enjoy your pedia.
Cheers
Søren, Denmark.
kbarnes70
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: Plex Media server integration

Post by kbarnes70 »

sgr@wirol.dk wrote:Hi Guys,

DVDPedia integration for PMS ( Plex Media Server )
It would be very cool to be able to use the information entered in the dvd pedia,
in the Plex media server. ( in my case close to 1.000 movies)
Currently Plex Media server has very limited options for adding / changing data,
and secondly, I actually hate maintaing data on 2 seperat DB's.

In the earler days, I was using DVDPedia with the frontrow plugin and mv4 files, but first Frontrow has been discontinued,
and secondly I am (again) converting all my dvd's to mkv files, so that is why Plex seems to be the right Media server at the moment :-)

Hoping for a miracle

Keep up the good work guys
I really enjoy your pedia.
Cheers
Søren, Denmark.
That would be very useful for me too, Søren. Plex is just great isn't it? The combination of Plex and DVDPedia would be awesome.

Cheers,

Keith
scooter64
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by scooter64 »

+1

I too would really appreciate DVDpedia integration with Plex.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
sgr@wirol.dk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sgr@wirol.dk »

Hi All,
I recently received this feedback from the Plex forum.

"You could try the developer Metadata Agents forum, but my suspicion is that it won't be possible to access a "local database" like that unless its contents are available via an HTTP API."
Would it be possible to access dvdpedia via an http API.
I realize that this would mean, integration of dvd pedia with a local/private webserver.
But that might give other benefits as well, such as keeping all local copies of DVD pedia up to date, instead of having to export/import the database.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the update. I have downloaded the plug-in kick-starter for Plex to play around. Unfortunately, the fact that Plex relies on Python and is not native to Mac OS X and Cocoa means it would take a lot more work to supply it with data. Mainly the idea of adding a HTTP API to DVDpedia, to build a data bridge. Such an API is not a simple matter, it would be a lot easier to create a channel a la Front Row where the data can be supplied directly from the Plex plugin from a Cocoa system. I have not researched thoroughly enough yet but maybe it's possible to use the [url=http://developer.apple.com/cocoa/pyobjc.html]PyObjC bridge[url] to get the data from DVDpedia. I have a feeling the runtime environment of the Plex plugin might be too strict to allow it as this bridge compiles python into a native OS X executable.