DVDpedia: Movie Source Linking Verification

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
joel
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

DVDpedia: Movie Source Linking Verification

Post by joel »

After importing over 1,000 movies from barcode scanning and beginning to build the catalog, it can be tricky to know where the data is coming from, and if it is complete and accurate.

It would be nice to verify that the item was associated with the correct movie.

Here is what I think would be handy:
A "Linked Data Window"

At the top of this window would be a list of what sites the record has data from (IMDB, Amazon, DogHouse, etc)
Clicking on one of the listings at the top of the window would display the web page for the selected movie from that site.

That way you can quickly and visually verify if the linked movie is the correct one.
One of the things with the Add Movie search results is that it lists several records as search results, but you don't really have an weary way to determine which result you want to pick.

Extra Credit:
Have an option to display a small icon next to each field to indicate which source the data was pulled from.
Allow a right-click on the field to change the data from another source (very similar to what you can do now with cover art — that feature I use CONSTANTLY — it would also be useful for other fields, such as "Summary")
sjk
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Re: DVDpedia: Movie Source Linking Verification

Post by sjk »

joel wrote:One of the things with the Add Movie search results is that it lists several records as search results, but you don't really have an weary way to determine which result you want to pick.
Thought I'd posted a comparison example of how DVD Hunter handles multiple search results, which I remember as making it easier to choose from than DVDpedia, but could only find this topic:

[DVDpedia] Edit window aesthetics

Also, this more related post:
Running Get Advanced Info for Selection > IMDb with entries originally added to DVDpedia via Amazon.com will occasionally have the wrong IMDb ID number and data. Sometimes I'll manually add the ID to the IMDb field under the Extra tab of the Edit Movie window (after running Edit > Edit Extra Info… (Shift-Command-E)) to ensure that won't happen. That's an alternative to this suggestion:
Nora wrote:Use the little gear button in the Edit window instead of the 'Get Advanced info' batch option. That way, if there is more than one result returned from IMDb (as is sometimes the case with sequels or very common titles), you can choose the correct one from the little drawer in the edit window.
… because sometimes it's hard to choose which item is correct from those search results.

I'd really like to combine the process of adding info from multiple sources, e.g. Amazon and IMDb, even if it would mean having to manual fix entries with incorrect IMDb info.
That's a long way of saying I agree with you. :)
Nora
Site Admin

Re: DVDpedia: Movie Source Linking Verification

Post by Nora »

Thanks for the feedback guys. We want to improve the listing and IDs for respective sites in the future.