DVDpedia: Sorting By Genre and Handling Sub Genres

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
joel
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

DVDpedia: Sorting By Genre and Handling Sub Genres

Post by joel »

I am not sure on this issue, but I keep thinking about it and struggling with it:
How should sorting behave when you have assigned multiple values in the genre field?

(Sometimes) I think that DVDpedia should treat the first value as a special "main" genre, so that when sorting by "Title" and then by "Genre" (so that genre is the main sort field), DVDpedia only looks at the first value for sorting purposes and ignores the other values in the genre field.

For example, if I have a movie with a genre entry like "Action, Sci-Fi, Suspense, Horror", it only sorts on "Action".
That way you don't get these strange, unexpected sort results.

Maybe it should be an option, so that you can still do a true sort if you wanted to?

I have also thought about using two fields to accomplish something similar, using one field as the "main" genre (with only one value in it), and another tag field to enter in all of the sub genres.
But there are some problems with that too: mainly it makes searches more clumsy (because you are putting what is essentially one piece of data in two fields), and/or you have to enter that "main" genre into two fields, which seems redundant and clumsy.

I keep going back and forth on this one, and I am not sure what the best solution is, but something feels off with the current options.