Film quality and dimension

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
samu-mac
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Film quality and dimension

Post by samu-mac »

Hello, ive asked few months ago about a Pixel Criteria Feature to order film by quality (480p, 720p, 1080p etc)

Discussing about it we got out that also if MAC OSX Finder does not display by default these informations on MKV files must be possible somehow because some software (like MediaInfo) do it.

Wanted to know if the staff still have it in mind and it's on the tasklist...

...and if not, because technical issues \ difficulties, if is possible to get a pretty similar result using other 2 information to get out (at least at 90%) the film quality

Film duration
Film Dimension

Crossing those 2 informations (of course can sometimes fail but should work) you should get able to classify film for quality..

Tell me something about that :)

Thanks in advance
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Film quality and dimension

Post by Conor »

In the latest version the information will be added if QuickTIme knows about it in it's "kMDItemPixelHeight" attribute. You must first name two of your custom fields "Video Height" and "Video Width" for them to get filled in. In your case you might only want "Video Height" that indicates 480, 720 or 1080. If you drag a few links again over DVDpedia and tell it to update the existing information with the new custom fields some should be filled out.

The problem with other formats is that everybody has their own secret way of storing information. This makes it a technical hassle to get this kind of information for all file formats. As an example take the MKV specs, just figuring out how to read the metadata would take a while. It does remain on the task list but waiting for tools to appear that make it easier to get that information, wanting to avoid writing our own. Thank you for the link to MediaInfo this would be the kind of tool I had been waiting for, I shall download it and find out if it will work with DVDpedia.

Getting the pixel dimensions from the file duration would be impossible due to the number of variables such as encoding, compression, audio codecs included as part of the film, etc.
samu-mac
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by samu-mac »

Thanks for answer conor.

So, i understand that the last version of DVDpedia has the feature but because QuickTime do not get information from MKV, DVDpedia is not able still to fill the field video heigh exactly?

Well, i'm pleased to know that is on the tasklist still, hope that soon as possible the staff \ someone will give time and swet to get this out because i really think is a crucial features for most common user's libraries.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I did play around with the open code of MediaInfo but it's still quite complex as it's built for all OSs, including Linux and Window and that makes it quite a complicated library to work with. I am the only Mac/iOS programmer so tasks do get shuffled depending on priority, so at the moment it's not looking to rosy as I am quite swamped with Pocketpedia programming.
samu-mac
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by samu-mac »

Ok Thanks for your work connor!

waiting news :)