DVDpedia: rating statistics

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
PhiBo
Contributor
Contributor

DVDpedia: rating statistics

Post by PhiBo »

Why is there no option in the statistics view to include the ratings field? I don't mean the five star personal rating but the field where for example IMDB scores are put into.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: DVDpedia: rating statistics

Post by Conor »

It's a field that diverges a lot in values and hence not quite practical for the statistics. But you can include it by modifying the statistics.xml file inside the DVDpedia.app package; control click and select "Show Package Contents..." navigate to the resources folder and open "statistics.xml" with a text editor and insert the following between the other <dict> sections:

Code: Select all

<dict>
		<key>identifier</key>
		<string>rating</string>
		<key>type</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
	</dict>
Keep a copy of a the statistics.xml file so you can drop it in after an update that will update the file as well to it's original settings.
PhiBo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PhiBo »

Hi, thanks for the tip, that worked perfectly. :)

When I played around with smart list rules for the ratings field I had the impression the field is defined for integer values. Nonetheless when fetching data from IMDB the field is filled with something more like a string (e.g. "7.7 (118,659 votes)"). I don't know if this is possible with all data sources but I think you should either condense whatever you read from a data source into a numerical value (which is what I do manually now) or redefine the ratings field as string value.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

It's a field that is trap in hybrid land. Most users use it as a number, but a large number like to add the number of votes that produce the rating. So we like to treat it like a number, but have left it free to allow more than that. As long as the number comes first in the field, then it can be used properly in the smart collection. Thank you for the feedback.