Bookpedia: Bulkimporting ebooks

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
achimr

Bookpedia: Bulkimporting ebooks

Post by achimr »

I have a quite large ebook collection organized in subfolders and want to bulkimport them into bookpedia.
The drop feature is working well and I got all the information from the epubs into bookpedia.
Nevertheless, dropping several hundred files manually is at least boring.
Wouldn't it be possible to allow dropping of folders into bookpedia?
I also tried already to access bookpedia using applescript, but it doesn't seem to support it.
As a workaround, if you supply the ebook import feature as a menu item I can script it
with applescript without explicit applescript support by your application.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Bookpedia: Bulkimporting ebooks

Post by Conor »

Wouldn't it be possible to allow dropping of folders into Bookpedia?
Drag and drop the folder over the Bookpedia's dock icon. You can even do it with the top folder and will add any files it find in sub folders. You can even repeat after adding new files and it will detect duplicates and skip them.
If you supply the ebook import feature as a menu item I can script it.
"File -> Import" would be the menu item command if you would like to script it. There another post about scripting and epub here that uses the open with feature of the Finder. More integrated AppleScript support is on the todo list.
achimr

Post by achimr »

Thanks for the clarification. For whatever reason, it had not been working for me. Today it is working like a charm.

I tried the link you provided for the thread about scripting and epub, but it didn't come up. Instead it links me to a user profile page??

thx Achim
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Glad to hear it's working. Sorry about the incorrect link, I have updated it now, but on closer read it was not the original post I was looking for about AppleScript as this one is about working with Calibre and Bookpedia, so it would not have been too useful.
achimr

Post by achimr »

Tried the import with the whole directory structure consisting of around 2000 books/documents/magazines in pdf and epub format.
There might one or the other mobi type document, too.
Unfortunately it is stuck after a different number of imported books.
First try it imported around 350 books, second run it was stuck after 100+, fourth run was the best for now - over 1000 documents before it blocks.
I removed the database between the runs. So it started fresh and clean every time. And I dropped the same root directory on every round.
I can't cancel the import (no button) or quit the application (no response).
I have to kill the application using cmd-alt-esc.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Could you please send me the console log after the import, it should provide more clues as to were the issue is. Strange that it's not getting stuck at the same location every time. I have updated the Bookpedia Beta to report the current link being imported to the console log to help in debugging. From your description it does not sound like the issue is a specific file but never hurts to have that information.

Since the program hangs, also please try creating a sample before force quitting it. You can do so with the program Activity Monitor, click on Bookpedia and then select "Sample" from the toolbar menu to create a sample of what the program is thinking about.
achimr

Post by achimr »

Hi,
hadn't had much time the last days, sorry for the delay.
I downloaded the Beta from the link you provided and it's still the same behaviour.
The import hangs hangs at around 1000 - 1100 imported books and while importing different books.
Most often, after it pops up with a question about duplicates to import or skip.

The activity monitor shows that it uses 2.75GB of physical memory and another 3.1GB of virtual memory, which seems a bit much.

I took a sample, but it's quite large and exceeds the maximum message size. How can I provide it to you?
This is also true for the system log, it's quite large (even if it's stripped down).

Thx Achim
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Sounds like the garbage collector is not doing it's job. I have updated Bookpedia beta to tell the memory manager to be more aggressive during the import loop, hopefully keeping the memory low.