Features wanted in CDpedia

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
CxB
Contributor
Contributor

Features wanted in CDpedia

Post by CxB »

Since I use CDpedia with Discogs a lot I have started to realize that I miss a couple of things. :D
So, please add support for:
1. Secondary pictures to be able to keep track of labels and other interesting details.
2. More than one <extraartists> like three producers, not only the first one.
3. <style> and <country> (or if you have renamed custom fields to same names, set these instead). Same goes for more <extraartists> like Written-by etc.
4. Avoid todays date set when you just get Year from Discogs and perhaps default to Jan 1 instead.
5. Barcode and Other Identifiers are another area which would be nice to capture using <identifiers>.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Features wanted in CDpedia

Post by Conor »

1. On the to do list as it's complex. It's hard do distinguish images that are different as some secondary images are variations of the same primary image.
2. Done. See link below.
3. Done. Style would prove nice in a custom tag field.
4. Done.
5. Both "Barcode" and "Catalog#" should be going into catalog number and UPC fields. Other more exoteric identifiers (e.i. "Pressing plant matrix code" or "Rights Society") I have added to search for matching custom field names.

CDpedia beta 26
CxB
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CxB »

Been busy, but now..
First, great work! I love bug fixing! I test them every day in my nonPedia life. :wink:
So, test results:
1. Perhaps download all pictures (or max 4) and let user decide which is which (like front/back/labelA and labelB) and threw any copies away? Or just keep it simple as in add 4 pics, first 4 and show them in this order..
2. Works like a charm! Thanks
3. Wonderful, you dont know how much time you save having country auto set. Now I can skip tagging my releases by hand. Style is neat as well.
4. just 1982 -> Jan 1 1982 -> test ok! But, lets say you get Oct 1982 from Discogs then date will be Oct + <todays date> + 1982. You could of course remove "d" or "dd" from your formatting and never see the incorrect date but, personally I like to see exact dates, if possible.. and Oct 1 for me, tells me that no exact date was probably returned so it defaulted to "1". Just a detail, I know :D
5. Perfect! I love the "Rights Society" myself and now I can also add Matrix / Runout (very important for us release freaks :P ) in a Custom Text field. An idea here could be to add a newline instead of a comma if you fetch a value to a field type and you have several values. Because its very common a release have many Matrix / Runouts since people use that for label & matrix. example: a,b,c,d ->
a
b
c
d
This "connect to custom fields" need more investigation to see if you can catch more interesting data.

Happy happy!
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Thank you for testing and the update on the feedback.

They date is a bit tricky as there so many possible formats of date out there in the world. I am letting the Cocoa framework handle it and their default is to use the current date instead of the the beginning of the non given information; e.i. the first of the month or the first of the year. I have added that it goes to the first of the year as that is the one case that is easy to detect (four numbers with no other characters). I'll look at adding more cases such as three alphanumeric characters a space and four numbers to go to the beginning of the month for a future release.