Cancel a Search?

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Cancel a Search?

Post by sitenoise »

I very often use the "Service", I think that's what you call it, to search DVDPedia. For example, I'm on a IMDb web page for a movie and I want to go to that movie, if it exists, in DVDPedia. I right click on the movie title and choose "Search Selection with DVDPedia".

If the title exists, and the search criteria is exactly** correct, it goes to that title and highlights it. Excellent! If the title doesn't exist, or the search criteria was not exactly** correct, the "Search All" begins. I want to be able to cancel that--instead of waiting for it to finish and then having to cancel whatever title it finds. The Cancel Button is there in the little Search All window but it does not register any clicks on it.

** here's the thing about exactly correct searches. Take "The Adjustment Bureau", for example. If I highlight and search for "Adjustment Bureau", it doesn't find "The Adjustment Bureau". :x And I often search for films on my HD that I may have titled "Adjustment Bureau, The" for sorting purposes. No way to get that one! Double :x .

Is there any way to get that Cancel Button in the Search All window to work? You know how I am about watching milliseconds fly out the window :D

update: It occurs to me, I think, that the "Search Selection with DVDPedia" is by default doing a search as if looking to Add a title to DVDPedia and I keep wanting to think of it as is doing a search from within DVDPedia--if that makes sense. Like doing a search from the search box in the toolbar.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Cancel a Search?

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I thought it would be useful to combine both, so that you could search inside of DVDpedia an also find the same movie you are looking at to add to DVDpedia. But I think you might be correct that it might be better to split that in 2 services, one that uses the internal search and one that does the current behavior. (An exact match result would be still useful to display to let users know they might have been wrong about not having the movie.)

I also have plans to move the image download to the background that will let users cancel the search without issue, as well as make it seem faster as I can render the image later. The problem now is that once it hits on the result it goes to get the information including the image, once it's downloading the image it's in the loop to show the result. As you can imagine the image is 80% of the download time, compared to the textual information.
sitenoise
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by sitenoise »

I'm very likely one of a very few people who use Services. I live by the right-click!
(An exact match result would be still useful to display to let users know they might have been wrong about not having the movie.)
I"m not sure what you mean with that?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Was thinking out load. :oops:

If I create a second service named "Add to DVDpedia" I was thinking it should still run a search internally instead of triggering the search window right away.