use/import tags from Finder?

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
ninji
Captain
Captain

use/import tags from Finder?

Post by ninji »

I'm a new user to Bookpedia. So far I'm appreciating the app. One very useful feature is the ability to apply arbitrary tags. I already have a fair number of tags that I use in Finder (since this was implemented in OS X 10.9). Might it be possible for a future version of Bookpedia to access the tags that Finder does, so I can use the same tags in Finder that I do in Bookpedia?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: use/import tags from Finder?

Post by Conor »

Thanks for the feedback. I assume you are importing ebooks that are tagged in the Finder?

I shall take a look at reading that info and adding them into the tag field on import or linking of a file via drag and drop into the details view.
ninji
Captain
Captain

Re: use/import tags from Finder?

Post by ninji »

yes -- i occasionally import ebooks that I've tagged in the Finder. it would be great if Bookpedia could automatically read in that metadata so a user doesn't have to manually do so and thus duplicate effort.

i don't know if it's possible, but ideally Bookpedia would not read and import/copy/internally store that Finder metadata in its own format, but rather use the same database of tags that Finder draws from. for example, if I have a tag 'ABCDE' in Finder, I can tag any number of files or folders with it. If I later decide I want to change that tag, I can do so (Finder --> Preferences --> Tags), for example to 'ABCDEFGH', and then automatically every single file/folder that had the original tag is updated with (changed to) the new tag.

So what I have in mind is tagging a book in Bookpedia with ABCDE. Then at some later point I realize that the tag in question would better work for me if it were instead ABCDEFGH. Accordingly I make that change in Finder, and then not only do all relevant (so-tagged) files and folders in the Finder automatically update, but so too do all so-tagged books in Bookpedia (or records of whatever kind in any of the xPedia apps).

I don't know if that's possible at present, but that's what might be an ideal system that enables describing multiple different data types using a unified metadata system.

(practically speaking, this is helpful for me for example to track both books and other, related, non-book things, for example travel books and travel articles, bus/train/plane tickets, etc.). or books/articles/music concerning sports, or history, or... whatever.