possibility to rename tags

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
ninji
Captain
Captain

possibility to rename tags

Post by ninji »

is it possible at present (Bookpedia 5.9.2, beta 122) to rename an existing tag? For example if I have 20 books tagged "ABC" can I somehow specifically select that tag "ABC" and arbitrarily modify it, e.g. to "XYZ", such that all records/books associated with the tag automatically update (i.e. so that all 20 of my books are now tagged "XYZ")?

I've looked extensively through the program for an interface by which to accomplish this task. Please do let me know if I'm just being very short-sighted and missing something obvious! If not, would you please consider implementing this functionality in a future release?
Conor
Top Dog

Re: possibility to rename tags

Post by Conor »

There is, but it not obvious. The steps are a bit hidden since it's not done often.

1. Search for "ABC" on the top right. (You can click the magnifying glass and limit to tag, but should not be necessary if "ABC" is somewhat unique).
2. Use the menu command Edit -> Select All (If not limited in search scope – see above – and there is a match that is not from tags unselect with command held down).
3. Menu command Book -> Edit, the edit multiple window will come up.
4. Tag field will display all the tags the selection has in common, "ABC" should be one or the only one. Remove "ABC" and "XYZ" press "OK".
ninji
Captain
Captain

Re: possibility to rename tags

Post by ninji »

thanks, very helpful.

in the future would you consider adding a more obvious interface to this? this might be complementary to something like a tag cloud, or another way of visualizing (or at least accessing) the list of tags currently in use. (the Finder has a limited/rudimentary version of this capability in the 'tags' sub-section of its preferences window).