Cosmetic: consider renaming CDPedia and DVDPedia

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
audacious
Captain
Captain

Cosmetic: consider renaming CDPedia and DVDPedia

Post by audacious »

Both represent mostly past media, not that I do not have plenty of both in my collection and wish to keep them there. Just thinking - from a cosmetic perspective it might present more appropriately with names that reflect the current or broader nature of the collection (MusicPedia?, FilmPedia?). It might benefit you from a marketing perspective as well. A prospective customer might see DVDPedia and think they are looking at an older, possibly forgotten application when those of us using it know this to be anything but the case.
FineWine
Site Admin

Re: Cosmetic: consider renaming CDPedia and DVDPedia

Post by FineWine »

audacious wrote:Both represent mostly past media, not that I do not have plenty of both in my collection and wish to keep them there. Just thinking - from a cosmetic perspective it might present more appropriately with names that reflect the current or broader nature of the collection (MusicPedia?, FilmPedia?). It might benefit you from a marketing perspective as well. A prospective customer might see DVDPedia and think they are looking at an older, possibly forgotten application when those of us using it know this to be anything but the case.
+1 for this suggestion.

DVD rental stores have gone the way of the dinosaurs. DVD's and CD's are slowly fading away from retails stockists, though vinyl is making a sort of come back. I know where I live where there used to be row upon row of discs at the two major outlets, they are now found in just one or two small rows and most are now in bargain bins.

I last bought a DVD in April 2018. In 2017 I bought 26. I had only rented 4 DVD's from our now defunct DVD rental store this year. I watch more streaming video now via Chromcast Ultra and even in little old New Zealand we have 12 geo centric streaming services (Netflix, Apple, Youtube, Prime etc and with Disney Plus arriving in November), without having to resort to a Geo unlock VPN service.

Three of these NZ service providers you can purchase and download the entire movie cheaper than a DVD or Blue-ray disc. It has been so long since I bought a CD I cann't remember. All my music comes from iTunes. These are all the legal means to acquire movies and music.

I am hanging out for an updated Apple TV device which is overdue for an update which hopefully will have a larger Hard Drive, 64Gb just will not accommodate today's High Definition, Ultra High Definition and 4k movie collections.

Renaming our iconic Pedia's to Musicpedia and Moviepedia is a great idea. I say Moviepedia as opposed to Filmpedia because Filmpedia invokes the days of when movies where on reels of film but even now that has gone as todays movie arrive in the projection booths in the form of a hard drive containing multiple video & sound formats and Moviepedia best describes today's delivery of these movies.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

+1 from me as well.

Something we have been mulling over. Although I prefer Moviepedia and Albumpedia. This way they all start with a different letter. Also defines more of what CDpedia is actually organizing, as the items are bundled as albums and not single tracks, be it CD's, digital, or LPs.
audacious
Captain
Captain

Post by audacious »

I think MoviePedia and AlbumPedia would work. Although albums predate cds ... as FineWine indicated - the are making a bit of a comeback. That aside, the younger generation know and often use the term to describe an ... album(?). They rarely use 'cd'. In fact there are some that barely know what a cd is. Album is used even to describe a release seen on Apple Music, Spotify etc. In fact, I can't think of another word to use. MoviePedia would work and should be timeless. I guess the key is to select something that won't have you rethinking again in 5 years. These seem to fill the bill.
philb1701
Contributor
Contributor

Post by philb1701 »

Personally, I like the idea of changing the name to FilmMedia, but leave the CDMedia name.
Unlike most users these days, I still prefer my media to be hard (CD and various forms of DVD).
For what it's worth, my Christmas list this year was almost exclusively blu-ray or 4K UHD movies.
I will occasionally download the odd song but can count on one hand the number of movies I've
downloaded. I am known within my friends for giving away download codes from my hard movies.

I don't care to be one who is beholden to the whims of the online media vendors for what content I
get or don't get and when I can and cannot watch a given title (Netflix are you listening.)

With a local media library of 13TB and growing, I can do my own local hard wired streaming thank you
very much.

Love the Pedia programs and use them on a constant, almost daily basis.
MusicGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MusicGuy »

I feel the same as philb. I think most music lovers (who care about audio quality) prefer buying CD's as opposed to streaming, and will continue to buy them for as long as they are manufactured. In addition, I happen to like looking at the booklet or liner notes. I don't collect vinyl so I am content with keeping the name of CDPedia.

As for DVDPedia, I have long thought that the name was outdated (obviously, since the introduction of Blu-rays). I consistently buy Blu-ray discs (1080p and UHD), but rarely purchase a DVD anymore, unless it is not available in high def (and most likely will never be). I don't stream movies much, and prefer to plays discs whenever I feel like viewing it, not settling for sub-quality video and audio. I have no real issue with the name of "MoviePedia", but how about considering "VideoPedia"? A portion of my collection consists of documentaries, TV shows and music concerts, all of which can fall under the "Video" category but not suitably, the "Movie" category.
JeffAB
Inductee
Inductee

Post by JeffAB »

I am mostly cataloging physical media—a ton of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-rays, though I also have a lot of digital versions of albums and a small number of LPs. I agree that CDPedia and DVDPedia are not as all-inclusive as they probably should be and that they're both starting to sound out of date. Also agree with the person who noted that MoviePedia would not embrace the many videos that don't really qualify as movies (concerts, TV shows, etc.) Plus, not all the audio is music. For example, I have a bunch of comedy recordings and also a box set called Great Speeches of the 20th Century.

My vote would be for AudioPedia and VideoPedia. That pretty much covers it.