BDGest/bedetheque plug-in

Tell us about your wildest feature dreams. Or just harmless suggestions for improvement.
Bruxced

BDGest/bedetheque plug-in

Post by Bruxced »

Hi,

Would it be possible to develop a search plug-in for the bedetheque.com website (also available at bdgest.com)? In the past there was a plug-in called iBede which would even sync between bookpedia and bdgest, but it is not available anymore. A plug-in where you have to introduce a personal account for the site would be fine.

This would be huge! I am ready to help if interaction in French is needed.

Kind regards,

Cedric
Conor
Top Dog

Re: BDGest/bedetheque plug-in

Post by Conor »

Thank you for the feedback. The iBede plugin although no longer in development still works as a search plugin, the whole integration with the details view needs to be updated, but as you know the developer has stopped developing the plugin and I don't have access to the original source code. BDgest has started their own program and iOS app that competes with Bookpedia hence they stopped providing their data like they used to. I'll take a look at the possibilities, but I doubt there will be any as they want you to use their app.
Bruxced

Post by Bruxced »

Thanks Conor. I will contact them too.
perarneflo
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by perarneflo »

I think there might be a misunderstanding here. I've also been a keen user of the iBédé plug-in and was very disappointed when it stopped working in Bookpedia v6. And when it stopped working in Bookpedia 5.7 too, I was even more disappointed.

I've tried to get in touch with the developer Nenuphar-Development but have never gotten any response. I think the problem is that they have started a new business called bdBuzz (bdbuzz.net). I think they are more a competitor to BdGest than Bookpedia and that's why they stopped supporting the plug-in.

When the search in Bedetheque via the plug-in no longer worked in Bookpedia 5.7, I got in touch with Bdgest, since I've already paid for a three year subscription to BdGest to use the plug-in to search Betetheque. It appears that they have updated their whole site and database. That's why the search no longer works. They said they don't have any connection to the plug-in. They only "provide the API", to quote the response I got.

This makes me believe that they are open to provide all information needed to make their catalogue searchable in Bookpedia. So maybe it is possible for someone with some programming skills to make a new plug-in? (It's not me... :) )

P.S. Another great feature of the plug-in was that the Details view iBédéView enabled the feature of showing links that are images with simple HTML-coding. I used the iBédéView InfoTemplate to make my own details view so that when I add my own cover as an image in the Links section of Bookpedia I can display them in the details view and not only the default cover in the Main section. In Bookpedia 6 my own covers (added as links) are only displayed as a missing picture in a web site with a question mark.

Is it possible to enable this feature in Bookpedia in a simple way? I guess it has something to do with Javascript that enables this. But again: I don't know any programming, except some HTML, so I have no clue what the trick is. Maybe you do, Conor? I can send you my InfoTemplate if you want to take a look.