Export Database

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
tombo74!

Export Database

Post by tombo74! »

I'll get a new hard disk and need to re-install Mac OS X Lion and Bookpedia. How can I save/export my current data? Thanks!
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Export Database

Post by Nora »

To get your Bookpedia over from one computer to the next, the most important part is the Bookpedia data folder. By default this is located in your Home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia. Create a copy of that folder and move it to your new computer or burn it onto a DVD. (Please note that there are two Application Support folders on your computer, one in the Home folder and one on your HD. You want the one in your Home folder.)

Once that's copied over/burned, you can also make a copy of the Bookpedia plist file so you won't have to re-register the program and keep other preference settings in the program as well. You'll find it in your Home folder under ~/Library/Preferences/com.bruji.bookpedia.plist

If you're on Lion, it hides the Library folder by default but you can use the Finder's 'Go' menu, hold down the Option key and the Library folder will appear.

Make sure you move the folder and the plist file into the exact same location on your new hard drive while Bookpedia is NOT running. Once they're in place, run the program and you'll see your database as before.
tombo74!

Post by tombo74! »

Wow. Great explanation. Thanks a lot!
gillesenvrac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gillesenvrac »

Hello,

I have a database on my desktop with 1000 books that I would like to update from my MacAir. Can I change the location of the database for a networked or cloud disk ?

Thanks for your work.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Hold down the option key while launching Bookpedia on the Mac Air and you will be presented with the choice to open a specific database. Navigate to the network drive location and select the "Database.bookpd". You will have to share the other users computer or move the data folder from it's default location into a shareable location.

Depending on the OS X and the file systems Bookpedia can run merges on the data automatically, but in case the systems are not compatible it's best to quit Bookpedia after you're done editing as otherwise it might keep the file locked and when you try an edit on the second Bookpedia it will freeze waiting for the file to be released as the file system will protect from loss by making the file read only for a while.