Amazon Search Stopped Working

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
remix2112
Inductee
Inductee

Amazon Search Stopped Working

Post by remix2112 »

I hadn't entered any new items in my Pedia apps for a while. I fired them up to add some stuff and updated to 5.1.1 when prompted. I had been successfully using the Amazon search with my AWS account info since version 5 came out for DVDPedia, GamePedia, and BookPedia. I am now unable to get any search results returned while adding a new movie - even when I removed the title limitation. Anything I search for returns no results.

I set my search priority to hit TMDB just to see if I could get any result, and that was successful. I prefer to use the Amazon search, so I hit the Amazon Settings button to re-enter my AWS credentials. I pasted in my existing info from their site, and an error was returned: "Your AccessKey Id is not registered for Product Advertising API. Please use the AccessKey Id obtained"

I tried it again to make sure I pasted in the full strings, and got the same result. I also created a new AWS key & tried it (and the corresponding secret key), but I got the same result.

Has anyone else had similar results lately?
alomuc

Re: Amazon Search Stopped Working

Post by alomuc »

Hello,
same problem here, it seems to be an Amazon problem blacklisting users with seller accounts.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums ... 244&#85244

No resolution known for me.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

We're still investigating this issue, which is proving a little tricky since the search works perfectly fine for us (only some users are affected by it and so far no pattern has emerged). But we do know that it has to do with the AWS API used which is being changed on August 31st. The Pedias don't actually use that part of the API that will be changed but for some reason several users are affected by the change anyway.

We're working on finding a solution and fix for this asap. We should have a beta out by next week to take care of this.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

We've got some more information about this issue. What's happening is that Amazon is separating the seller accounts from the associate accounts. The Pedia programs only support the associate functions of the API as they are meant to download information so that you can then use your associate ID within our programs or exported web pages.

For our users this means you need to have a valid Associate ID linked to the same account that you are using for the access key, i.e. they both have to be linked to the same email address. Please visit the associate portal and make sure that you are registered with the same email address that you are using for the Amazon Web Service that gives you the access key. Then make sure to add your associate ID in the provided field in the Pedias -> Preferences -> Sites -> Amazon Settings panel.

If that does not solve the issue, try registering an associate account with a new email address. Once logged in, take note of your new associate ID and follow the left side hand links that says "Product Advertisement API" and use the sign-up button. After signing up you will end up at the same security credential page that provides you your Access Key and Secret Key necessary. With that information you can then fill out the Amazon Settings panel in the Pedias again.

If you are still having issues after signing up with a new email and associate account, then follow this link and write to Amazon stating your access key and corresponding associate ID that is registered with the same email address. There is no need to send them your secret key.

There is more information about the recent changes in the Amazon forums, for example here and here.
alomuc

Post by alomuc »

Thanks, generating another associate account worked for me.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Will be making the associate ID mandatory in the next release as it's part of the changes at Amazon, so that there is no confusion.
gottadoit
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by gottadoit »

I cannot change my Associate ID in DVDpedia 5.1.1 - It is set to bruji00-20 and is READ ONLY. I am in the situation of having an Amazon Sellers account. I CANNOT believe how difficult Amazon makes this AWS crap. Ridiculous!

Any suggestion on how I can make my Associate ID under Amazon Settings writable and change it?

Thanks.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

That's very strange that the Associate ID field appears as read only for you, the grey default ID in the field should automatically disappear when you click on it. But please try the latest DVDpedia beta in which the default ID has been deleted (this will be the default for the next version) so you shouldn't have any further trouble changing it.

I agree that the new regulations are very annoying. I also don't understand why sellers and associates can't continue using the same account which would make things a lot easier for the users and Amazon. :?
gottadoit
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by gottadoit »

Thanks Nora, that did the trick. All is as it once was. :D
Anami
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Anami »

Perhaps I'm a bit stupid but I don't understand how I can get an Associate ID. I have a costumer and a private seller account. All with the same email address. But when I go to this amazon Associate page to create an account there I need to put in a website. But I don't have a website. What do I understand wrong here? Cheers.
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

If you don't have a personal website you can also use a Twitter account or Facebook page or even the website of a family member or friend.
gottadoit
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by gottadoit »

They ask for a lot of information. I answer falsely where they require it and I make sure when I can enter text that I put that this account is to use the Amazon APIs required by DVDpedia for the Mac and that you are not going to be generating money.
phule92
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by phule92 »

Nora wrote:If you don't have a personal website you can also use a Twitter account or Facebook page or even the website of a family member or friend.
Can I still use http://www.bruji.com ? I will not register on any social media site. Can I use any non-commercial site at random?
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

The associate account is supposed to be used to promote Amazon, they would like to know where you plan on posting links. Our programs main use for that is via the HTML export by creating a web page or sending emails/tweet with the link. If you have no plans of linking back to their information they reserve the right to close the account. I would suggest exploring the other search sites available to find a new favorite.
firewalkwithme
Contributor
Contributor

Post by firewalkwithme »

This is not working for me at all, which is a huge inconvenience.
I have a regular customer account and i've tried everything, but i still only get the same known error all the time.