cdpedia new version doesn't see itunes playlists

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
usurpator
Contributor
Contributor

cdpedia new version doesn't see itunes playlists

Post by usurpator »

Hi, I just upgraded to the latest version of both cd pedia and itunes (I'm in mountain lion), and for some reason cdpedia doesn't see newly created playlist in itunes. I rebooted, etc, nothing. Cdpedia doesn't see my "new stuff" itunes playlist which I created yesterday (just before upgrading cdpedia.

Please let me know what I can do, my sole goal in cdpedia is to catalogue my itunes music and... right now I'm stuck!

cheers!! and thanks
M
Nora
Site Admin

Re: cdpedia new version doesn't see itunes playlists

Post by Nora »

I can't seem to repeat the problem here with the same iTunes and OS versions. Please check your console log for are any messages from CDpedia. You can access the console log via the application 'Console', located inside your Applications/Utilities. The newer messages are towards the end of the log.

Could it be that you moved your iTunes Music library recently? In that case CDpedia wouldn't be able to see the new location, you have to tell the program about it first. To check whether your library is in the default location, run the application "Terminal" location in your Applications/Utilities folder and copy paste this into the window that appears, followed by a return:

Code: Select all

defaults read com.bruji.cdpedia.plist "iTunes Library XML"
If you get this line in reply:

The domain/default pair of (com.bruji.cdpedia.plist, iTunes Library XML) does not exist

it means that your iTunes library is located in a different location than the default ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml

To update CDpedia and use your new location, copy paste this line into Terminal, again followed by a return (obviously, change the path

defaults write com.bruji.cdpedia.plist "iTunes Library XML" "/Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml"
usurpator
Contributor
Contributor

Post by usurpator »

Thanks for you answer, but I don't get an error message. Cdpedia sees the list of playlists as it was 2 days ago, that is without the newly added playlist.
To be clear: import playlist from itune... choose playlist to import...

list of choices is:
Rock
tagged ok
my running music
added by joe

when in fact in itunes my playlists are:
Rock
tagged ok
my running music
added by joe
this is new and not tagged
to add to ipod
my fav new tracks
classical new stuff

I'm inventing the play lists names, but we are talking playlists not smart playlists.
this blindness of cdpedia to new playlists hapened just after I upgraded to the new cdpedia, no change in itunes or itunes file location.

Many thanks for any soution you may have!
M
usurpator
Contributor
Contributor

Post by usurpator »

to be on the safe side I did what you told me to do in the terminal (set the right location for the xml) but it hasen't changed anything. I don't know if this helps

Cheers and thanks for you help, cdpedia is a great product even though I have a small problem with it.

M
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Have you tried restarting CDpedia and iTunes?
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

iTunes should update that XML file, every time you make changes. So do check the modification time on that file via the Finder to make sure that iTunes is updating it. You could even open the file in a text editor like TextWrangler or TextEdit (it's a big file, so not sure if TextEdit will handle it) and search for the names of the new playlist to double check that the file is getting updated. For if that file is getting updated then CDpedia should definitely see it; should that not be the case you could email us a zipped version of that file so that we can check it out and figure the possible source of the issue.
storgendibal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by storgendibal »

Hi I have this issue too. I see that there are two XML files. iTunes Library.xml (which is updated currently) and iTunes Music Library.xml (which hasn't been updated for a few days).

I solved the problem just now (since written the above paragraph) by

1) closing itunes and cdpedia

2) relabelled iTunes Music Library.xml as zzziTunes Music Library.xml

3) opening both itunes and cdpedia

4) selecting add playlist from itunes, from cdpedia menu

5) this brought up a finder window, and I navigated to iTunes Library.xml (note not iTunes Music Library.xml or xxxiTunes Music Library.xml)

6) all worked fine.

With the old problem as well as new playlists not showing, old playlists were showing old tracks. I wonder if iTunes using a new XML file name now? I haven't used import playlist from itunes for many months, so this could have been an itunes update from some months ago.

Thanks
daniel_m
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by daniel_m »

Hi

I just ran in this issue too and I am wondering if there is a solution to this problem.
looking at the com.bruji.cdpedia.plist there is no 'iTunes Library XML' setting. Even if I import the iTunes Library the playlists are not updated.

Anything other to try than renaming the 'iTunes Library.xml' ?

Cheers Daniel
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Please try out the beta version of CDpedia, it should not have this issue, it also looks for a possible "'iTunes Library.xml". Otherwise you can set the path explicitly in the terminal with:

defaults write com.bruji.cdpedia.plist "iTunes Library XML" "/Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.xml"
daniel_m
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by daniel_m »

Conor wrote:Please try out the beta version of CDpedia, it should not have this issue, it also looks for a possible "'iTunes Library.xml".
No changes to the current Version regarding the playlist drop down.
Conor wrote: Otherwise you can set the path explicitly in the terminal with:

defaults write com.bruji.cdpedia.plist "iTunes Library XML" "/Users/username/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.xml"
Setting this configuration property fixed the problem, now all playlists are shown correctly.
I would suggest an option in the preference dialog to set the current "iTunes Library XML"...

Thanks for the quick reply