Feed an entry Wikipedia URL

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
LexD
Inductee
Inductee

Feed an entry Wikipedia URL

Post by LexD »

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to feed an entry the wikipedia URL where it will go get complementary information.

For example, I imported album with itunes, and it get the album title, artist as well as the title of each track. Then I imported my itunes library in CDpedia and now i would like to get complementary info such as description as well as label etc. but when i try to edit the entry and ask to such on wikiepedia it return no result, but i know the entry actually exist ( as an exemple this album does not work : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(_) ). Therefore i would like to know if there's a way to give CDpedia the URL so it does the work from there?

It would also be useful and faster for album such as Abbey Roads from the beatles which return a lot of entry... So anyone knows if it can be done? If so how?

Thanks and happy holidays to all!

Lex
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Feed an entry Wikipedia URL

Post by Conor »

Hi Lex,

That is an interesting idea. At the moment it's not possible as the Wikipedia search is actually implemented from DBpedia.org (completely unrelated to us, although they have a pedia ending). This is a database based on Wikipedia but more structured to allow computers to understand it. Indeed DBpedia.org would never be able to find this album as it considers the search words to be garbage (actual search done by CDpedia). Even by album title I am unable to get it from DBpedia as it's an unexpected title.

Wikipedia is geared to humans and has a poor API for search and is loosely structure when it comes to pulling out details for a particular entry. (I would like to integrate directly with Wikipedia to allow for direct URL access and more results based on title, but overcoming the shortcomings due to the lack of modern API is no easy task, so it's on the hold category for now). But once I am able to do that then URL matching and integrating closer with Wikipedia will be possible.

Happy holidays,
Conor