moving Bookpedia to X.10.8

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
sweetda

moving Bookpedia to X.10.8

Post by sweetda »

Summary: I'm trying to move files to my new MacBook Air but although I've moved the Bookpedia Folders to Application Support on the new Mac, Bookpedia insists that the folder must be in /users/myname/Library/Application Support/Bookpedia but my Users folders (I have two) don't have a Library sub-folder so I can't point the application at the data.

Context: I moved everything to the new Mac using Migration Assistant and Bookpedia seems to work fine on the new machine. BUT, because Migration Assistant wanted to move EVERYTHING I've created a new Username which will be strictly useful applications. So I actually have Bookpedia capable of running on the same physical device but can't persuade it to run on what I intend to be my active username. I tried importing via CSV and that seems to have worked BUT left off all the cover art (not surprisingly) which is a bit of a bind.

I looked at the help, dating from 2009, and it refers to the Home/Library tree which doesn't exist under that name in my system.

I'm sure there's a simple solution. Please tell me.

Thanks,

David
FineWine
Site Admin

How to Unhide your Library Folder permanently

Post by FineWine »

If you're on Lion or Mountain Lion, the Library folder is hidden by default so to go to your Pedia data folders you have to use the Finder's 'Go' menu, select 'Go to Folder' and copy paste ~/Library/Application Support/ into the window that appears.

To permanently show User ~/Library in OS X Lion & Mountain Lion launch Terminal from Spotlight or Launchpad or go to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal and enter the following command into the Terminal window to show the Library Folder permanently:

NOTE: just copy and paste the following command into Terminal, then press enter, then close Terminal

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Your Library folder will now be permanently visible. Also after each major and minor OS update you may have to do this again.
sweetda

Re: moving Bookpedia to X.10.8

Post by sweetda »

Thank you. All worked like a dream, I'm really grateful.

Happy New Year in a few days.

David