Pocketpedia import?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
black-jebus
Inductee
Inductee

Pocketpedia import?

Post by black-jebus »

Hi

Im wondering if it is possible to scan Barcodes using the pocketpedia app and have that import to the dvdpedia application ??

iv used the camera to scan a Barcode (is that the UPC?) ie 9321337130330 which is the Barcode for Narnia the voyage of the dawn treader in Australia. scanning that with the pocketpedia showed no results when i put the UPC in the search on DVD Pedia on the mac to add a new movie it shows 9 results non of which is my movie.
Im just wondering if im doing something wrong with over 600 DVDs i really do not want to have to type and search for them all manually? i have tested this with Icollectmovies on the iphone and it has so far found 99% of all the movies iv scanned with out issue however the export from that to DVDpedia is a little poor (not your issue i know just saying) i did pay for the icollectmovies mac app used it for 3 mins and decided on spending the 24$ to buy both dvdpedia and pocketpedia
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Pocketpedia import?

Post by Nora »

Yes, you can use Pocketpedia as a scanner to import UPCs (barcodes) into DVDpedia. You'll find more info about that in the DVDpedia Help.

The UPC you mentioned, 9321337130330, doesn't seem to be a very popular one since it only produces 10 results in Google. Do you remember if you purchased that DVD at a special place, maybe one that uses its own barcodes?
For Australian searches by barcode otherwise I'd recommend using the JB Hi-Fi site. EzyDVD is another Australian site but they don't offer a search by barcode unfortunately, only title and keyword searches.

To set up the search in DVDpedia for your needs, go into the Preferences/Sites and uncheck any sites that you're not interested in, pretty much from countries other than Australia. (Although Doghouse, DVDpedia's own database built by and for DVDpedia users from around the world and IMDb might be handy additions to keep.)
Now you can choose which of those sites you want to search in the search window (the one that comes up when you press the plus button in the toolbar) by clicking on the little magnifying glass in the search field. Or if you want the program to cycle through your selected sites until it finds a match, set the search to 'All'.