installing on multiple computers

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
gowenbig
Inductee
Inductee

installing on multiple computers

Post by gowenbig »

I have book/CD/DVDpedia on my desktop but would like to have it on my laptop to take to my cabin so I can do an inventory there. Can I simply download another copy using my serial number code or
is there another way? Of course then I will want to transfer the information back to my desktop when I'm back. I'm sure this is a simple task for you computer guru's but I will be needing the instructions
and help in the form used for a newbie.... thanks in advance.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: installing on multiple computers

Post by Nora »

You can use the same serial number to register the program on your laptop, yes. The easiest thing to do is to make a copy of your plist files for the Pedias and transfer those copies to the laptop since they will not only include your serial numbers but also your preference settings so you don't have to re-do them for each program. You'll find the plist files in your Home folder under ~/Library/Preferences/com.bruji.dvdpedia.plist (and com.bruji.bookpedia.plist etc.)

If you're on Lion or Mountain Lion, the ~/Library folder is hidden by default but you can use the Finder's 'Go' menu, hold down the Option key and the "Library" will appear under that same menu.

Once you have copied those files to the laptop (make sure the programs are not running while you do this) you can also make a copy of your database folders and transfer those to the laptop. By default the Pedia data folders are located in your Home folder under ~/Library/Application Support/DVDpedia. Again, use the Option key to reveal the ~/Library folder under the 'Go' menu and make sure the programs aren't running while you transfer the copied folders.

When you start up the programs on your laptop after this you will see your databases exactly as they appear on your other Mac. When you return from your trip, simply do the opposite and create a copy of the Pedia data folders on your laptop and copy those over to your desktop while the programs aren't running. Once again the databases will be equal and you can keep using the programs on your desktop as before but now including the changes you made on your trip.