bookpedia - duplicates collection?

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
jefferyn
Contributor
Contributor

bookpedia - duplicates collection?

Post by jefferyn »

greetings,
i have dvdpedia, bookpedia, & cdpedia. in my dvdpedia, i have a blue icon in the library side panel that shows duplicates. i don't recall if it came that way or if i did something to turn on this library. but i was looking for a way to show this same library in dvdpedia, but i haven't found a way to enable it. i know there is a menu option to display duplicates under "view" menu. but i'd like to have it in the side panel because it shows the counts too.

i almost always use smart collections because it updates automatically when i add or edit my library. if this "duplicates collection" is not in bookpedia, i'd like to make a request for this feature.

before buying pedias, i keep my cd and my dvd collections lists in text files. unfortunately, i never made a list of my printed media or my vinyl which i started collecting since i was a teen, much too long ago. since much of my music is in iTunes, i haven't spent nearly as much time on cdpedia. i've only entered new items since i started using pedia in 2009... i have about 1500 cds in my text database since the 1990's and about 300 in cdpedia. as for my print media, i only have about 100 items in bookpedia, but i have boxes of books, magazines, calendars, etc... after 3 1/2 years, i don't know that i'll every manage to get my entire library in the pedias. i haven't tried importing because i want to clean up my lists in the pedias. i didn't always remember to delete items sold or given away. so manually going thru the media helps me clean up my list and even thin out items i may not want anymore. but it is very nice having new items i've bought since 2009 in my computer... sadly, bar code searches often don't find my items. sometimes, i'll enter manually some of my older items. that's when i get duplicates sometimes. it does warn me when i save a new item that is a duplicate. but i want to see what i put in previously before deciding which one to keep. in 2009, i wasn't putting much info, but now i tend to put more. besides finding duplicates, it would be helpful if there were a "merge selected items" command.

anyway, i'm sure my situation is a little unique. so i'll understand if this doesn't apply to a large number of people...

thank you-
Nora
Site Admin

Re: bookpedia - duplicates collection?

Post by Nora »

In older versions of the Pedias (4.x) the "Show Duplicates" command would create a separate collection for you with the duplicates found. In version 5 we have changed this to just display the duplicates to keep your source column from cluttering up. If you'd still like to create a collection with the duplicates, use the 'Display Duplicates' menu command and then select all entries displayed in your list view and choose 'New collection from selection' from the File menu.

However if it's simply for the count display in the source column that you want the collection you can also see that at the bottom of the main window where it'll list the number of movies displayed. (If you don't see that info, go into the Preferences/Style and check the little box next to "Movies" under the Status Bar section.)

Thank you for the suggestion on the 'Merge Selection' command. It's something we're considering for the future.