"POST" method for search form

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

"POST" method for search form

Post by Rigido »

Hi Devs,
I was thinking to write a new plugin for an Italian site (DVDweb.it, it looks like it is a good reference for EAN, even for older DVDs) but looks like the search form uses a POST method.

Code: Select all

<form action="https://www.dvdweb.it/index.mv?Ricerca_TITA_2" method="post" name="ricercadvdwebnavi">
Is it possible to handle POST method from the plugins?

Ciao.
Conor
Top Dog

Re: "POST" method for search form

Post by Conor »

There is a helper method included in the plugin framework for post methods. First construct the body for the post out of all the forms "name" "value" pairs joined by ampersand (&) and then use downloadWebPage:withPost:encoding: on self. In this case it would be something like:

NSString *postBody = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"loc_ricerca=barra_navigazione&supporto=DVD&titolo=%@&genere=0", searchString];

[self downloadWebPage:@"https://www.dvdweb.it/index.mv?Ricerca_TITA_2" withPost:postBody encoding:NSISOLatin1StringEncoding];
You could make the value of "supporto" also dependent on the media field and change that with a variable to "BRD" if you desired.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Conor,
I think that should be withPost:postBody.
I put a stringlimit to let user choose between DVD, BR, Original Title, Director, Writer or Actor, so this is what I did:

NSString *postBody = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"loc_ricerca=barra_navigazione&supporto=%@&titolo=%@&genere=0", stringLimit, aString];

[self downloadWebPage:@"https://www.dvdweb.it/index.mv?Ricerca_TITA_2" withPost:postBody encoding:NSISOLatin1StringEncoding];
Search works (resultsSection is loaded, still trying to narrow values) but page is a mess, everything is between am href and a </b>, there are no "classes" or a keywords to help with parsing.
I wrote to DVDWeb info, hope they are interested and will help as DVDStore did.

Ciao.
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

I think that should be withPost:postBody.
Would be a more appropriate name but since not all plugins are made by me it's hard to change names now. I could have a deprecated function with the old name, but not worth the trouble.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Post by Rigido »

Conor,
maybe I didn't understand the syntax but:
if I use withPost:encodedString, Xcode gives me 2 issues: "Use of undeclared identifier EncodedString; did you mean typeEncodedString?" and "Incompatible integer to pointer conversion sending "int" to parameter of type "NSString *".
On the first example, you initialized the postBody NSString that's why I thought that that should be the name to use with withPost...and that works too :)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

You are 100% right, I misunderstood the withPost:postBody comment (I read it as the method should have had a name of withPost:postBody:encoding: instead of downloadWebPage:withPost:encoding:).

The code you posted would be the correct format. The actual declaration of the helper method is this one to clear up confusion:

- (void)downloadWebPage:(NSString *)aWebPage withPost:(NSString *)body encoding:(int)anEncoding;
It had a variable (encodedString) from were I took the original code that does not exist in the sample above. Rarely (because it's a mistake) a page might require the body to be encoded. Found this out with two plugins and they have a middle line that does:

NSString *encodedString = [postBody stringByAddingPercentEscapesUsingEncoding:NSISOLatin1StringEncoding];
Use your version of the code. I have updated my answer to avoid the typo as well.