Import problems

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Hobolix
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Import problems

Post by Hobolix »

Hi !
The last year i have changed my OS from Windows to MAC and, little by little, I'm trying to transfer my DBs to MAC. This is a hard job, because I have several thousands of records, uploaded during several years.
On Windows I was using Catraxx, Catvids e Bookcat. After a long study of the MAC software, I have chosen your software, that seems the most flexible and the best for what I need. I have purchased Bookpedia, as first step, and I have started some days ago to try the import operation for this, I think you can imagine, it is not so easy. :wink: But I think it is the most easy of the three (I think that CD DB will be the hardest job).

I am arrived to create a "first step" CSV file, with all the info of my books (abot 1.700) and with the links for the covers. I have added also some custom fields on Bookpedia (Subtitle, Type, Printing, Printing by, Original subtitle, Original publisher, Original country, Original language, Purchase currency, Copyright date, Original copyright date). And then the problems have arrived. :wink:

1) I have to do several trials, but there is not a counter reset, so I have to delete every time the db, if I want to start from 1 again. But every time i have to update again the custom fields and their description. I have also seen that, also without the db deletion, the import field table is partially reset (not for all the fields) on every import operation.

2) I would use English with Bookpedia, but this is not possible, because my OS uses Italian. It could be nice if we could use a language different from OS (only the language, not the date format or currency).

3) When I export data from Catraxx, that program build the cover file names from the book title. So it happens that you can find strange characters into the name, as "!" (exclamation mark). This is not a big problem, I have changed the name and the link, but yesterday, for this reason, Bookpedia was in loop for several hours, till I didn't cancelled it.

4) My big problem is now to change the thousands of quotation marks (") present in the input fields (synopsis, reviews, notes) because the same are used as field delimiters. Have you any suggestion without to change one by one? I have tried with multiple subs, but it is not possible (there are not standard situations). Another similar problem is to substitute the "/" with "," in keywords and similar.

5) Another little problem I have found with date. With a publish date "1978" (without month and day) after import I have found "feb 1978" and with a publish date "05/2000" (without day) I have then found "feb 2000". I have tried in this case only with two records.

OK, this is all for now. If you can help me with some suggestion I will be glad. :wink:
Hobolix
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Re: Import problems

Post by Hobolix »

I have found something for import operation:

- Bookpedia input date format must be : DD MM YYYY (or similar), the important thing is that you have to put blank and not slash
- you can change the quotation mark (") in double quotation mark ("") in text fields, however you cannot do this automatic if you dont want to change the field delimiters too :wink:
- don't forget to change the line feed chars, from '<br/>' to '\n' (*** I don't arrive to change at the moment, perhaps some problem on text)

The fields (in the field table) that I find are resetted at every import :( are three personal fields that i use for the original info. Perhaps this because the import program could be force the output field by the input name, the input name are "Original Title", "Original Publisher" and "Original Language" and Bookpedia would put them everytime in Title, Publisher and Language fields, also if there are other input fields for that puprose (without "original" in their name). (SOLVED this last problem changing the import field names)
Hobolix
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Hobolix »

I'll go crazy with dates now...
LAST READ DATE
After a lot of trials without result... I have written the last read date directly on Bookpedia, then I have done an export... everything OK, but... the import from this export... NO DATE taken! LOL There is anything that I haven't understood ?
Hobolix
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Hobolix »

Not so much help from this forum, but at the end I'm arrived to transfer all the book records.
However it has been a very hard job and I don't know if I would do it again.

Some conversion problem found (and solved):
- Quotation marks in text fields that I had to trasfer as they were in input (or the text was less clear)
- field delimiters: first "tab" (for the quotation mark problem) but then they are to be converted to quotation mark (for the URL problem)
- Image URL with space inside
- Image URL with characters not permitted in Mac (or in Bookpedia, IDK)
- dates with time indication (time is to be deleted)
- line feed windows vs line feed Linux
- impossibility to do a batch update or merge in Bookpedia
- Bookpedia seems to loop if the input records are too much (it was in loop with 1.673 records but it was running OK if the same records are splitted)
- Impossibility to use a language different from that of OS: in Italian the name of some fields is not clear, but doesn't exist the connection with the English name, and the help is only in English
- I haven't found what is the contents of some fields: numbers? text? binary?

However the job is ended and I'm happy of this. :wink:
Hobolix
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Hobolix »

I thought it was ended... but it is not.

The field "Last read" (in Italian "Ultima lettura", I suppose "Last Read" in English) has a wrong import. Altought the data mask is "d/M/y" Bookpedia get as "M/d/y", while the other dates are right.

If the dates are without day or month (it happens) the day and month data are filled at fantasy.

It seems impossible to import the MyRating field. In Italian version there is a "Valutazione" field (translation is Rating, but really what is it?) and NOT a "Mia valutazione" (=MyRating).
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Sorry we weren't more help during your import; we've been neglecting the forum a bit in the past few days. We'll try and take care of that now! Thanks for all the exact details on your import experience, we'll go through those and see how we can improve this for the future. CSV is such an open format that it's tricky to find a good balance between being open for all the different possibilities but restrictive enough to keep it useful.

That's very strange that only one of your date fields wouldn't import correctly since all dates are treated equally. The format depends on your settings in the System Preferences/Language & Text/Region.

When no day and/or month is provided, it uses today's day and/or month if your date format setting requires that info. (If your date setting is for day/month/year then all three need to be filled.)

To use Bookpedia in English without switching your whole computer to English, go inside Bookpedia and delete the Italian translation folder. (Ctrl-click the Bookpedia icon, select 'Show package contents' from the contextual menu and navigate to Contents/Resources/it.lproj.) You will have to do this every time you download an update for the program since the Italian translation will come along again.

The My Rating field (Mia valutazione) should be located towards the end of the list of fields for mapping during import, just before the credits. Since My Rating is a special field (not a text or date string), it is grouped with those other special fields like credits and roles.
The Rating field (Valutazione) is for the rating of the entry from the general public.
Hobolix
Bruji Friend
Bruji Friend

Post by Hobolix »

TY NORA !
I have immediately eliminated the Italian translation and at least some thing are more clear now!
I have found MyRating and it is running now as import. :)
Funny is that I have seen that the field, in Italian, "Livello lettura" (=Reading level) that I thought was the number of times you have read the book, is really "Chidren's Level"! :lol:
Nora
Site Admin

Post by Nora »

Do let me know if there are any translations that could be improved or are missing, we're always looking to improve the localizations.