Amazon grief

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
sfb1003

Amazon grief

Post by sfb1003 »

I'm not sure whether this is a feature request or just an opportunity to moan. I don't think there's a work around...

I went through the appalling rigmarole of registering as an Amazon Associate. I DID NOT WANT TO DO THIS. It's not what I expect from 'user friendly' software and I have deep misgivings as to what I have actually signed up for...

It seemed to work as the FAQ suggested and all seemed well... until this morning... when I received an email from Amazon to say that my application had been refused because my website didn't comply with their (undefined) notions of what a web site should be. I can only assume that I need a top level domain name in order to get past this but I'm only guessing here.

I don't know how to get beyond this point so it looks like no Amazon search. I wouldn't mind this (as I don't want all the information it gave me for selling books) but I do want to be able to search a half-decent database of (preferably British) published books. Is this so impossible to do?

Otherwise the software has been pretty good. I would like the ability to edit more on the iPad but at least it syncs very well.

Disappointed in Norfolk.
Nora
Site Admin

Re: Amazon grief

Post by Nora »

I'm sorry about the problems with Amazon, they are creating quite a headache for us as developers as well. Amazon is moving their API very much towards making money as opposed to just keeping it open for third-party developers and users, which is understandable from their point of view I suppose but an unfortunate loss for developers and the Pedia programs.

I don't know of any UK-specific book search sites that offer an API to developers but please do tell us if you know of any so we can check them out. Doghouse does keep country specific information if it is contributed from a user but since it is a user-built database the information obviously depends on what others have uploaded. As more and more users are sharing their databases this is growing and becoming a great resource but books are particularly tricky since there are simply so many (compared to movies, for example).

Have you tried Google Books, the new search site addition in 5.1.4? Their search is quite international and supports both ISBN and keyword searches.
sfb1003

Post by sfb1003 »

Thanks for this. Google Books is proving to be extremely useful.

Not so disappointed anymore! :)
Conor
Top Dog

Post by Conor »

Great. We have some improvements coming up with Doghouse as well.