Happy Easter and...

Any trouble you encounter with the Pedias, here's the place to ask for help.
Rigido
Addicted to Bruji
Addicted to Bruji

Happy Easter and...

Post by Rigido »

Hi everybody,
probably I'll be the only one in here on Easter but I found two problems with my plugins (LibreriaUniversitaria and DVDWEB) so I fired up updated XCode (4.6.1 4H512) and loaded a project:

/Users/Rigido/Documents/Development/DVDpedia/LibreriaUniversitaria/LibrUni.xcodeproj Garbage Collection is deprecated; use the "Convert to Objective-C ARC" menu command to switch to Automatic Reference Counting

If I remember "Garbage Collection" was a must for new plugins, should I ignore the warning?

Ciao e Buona Pasqua!!!
Conor
Top Dog

Re: Happy Easter and...

Post by Conor »

You can ignore the warning. Someday the Pedias will get update to "ARC" as well as Apple is pushing that Memory Managment as the future starting in 10.8 (ARC is only supported by 10.6+ and really 10.7 were it's takes advantage of weak references. It will require a bigger update were it can be fully tested, the original reason for garbage collection was to avoid some bugs in Core Data).

But to make your plugin future compatible with both version build it with:

GCC_ENABLE_OBJC_GC = supported

This will mean it will load in both "Garbage Collected" or "ARC" Pedia as it compiles both versions of the plugin and merges them together. This should be the default in Build Settings that all the plugins already use.

Happy Easter.